Sony Optiarc <AD-7240 Series> Bitsetting & Price

I have been reading about the Sony Optiarc 7240s and it appears that it does not support bitsetting for single-layer media. Is this true?

If it is true then will Sony Optiarc release a firmware update to patch this?

Also, how come the Sony Optiarc 7240s is so cheap when it is supposed to be one of the most advanced DVD-RW drives on the market?

[QUOTE=Zonchord;2501042]I have been reading about the Sony Optiarc 7240s and it appears that it does not support bitsetting for single-layer media. Is this true? [/quote]Yes.

If it is true then will Sony Optiarc release a firmware update to patch this?
Never.

If you did some reading in the Optiarc forums, then you would have known that there is a solution :wink:

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2501082]Yes.

Never.

If you did some reading in the Optiarc forums, then you would have known that there is a solution :wink:

Michael[/QUOTE]

There is a solution? So you want me to look in the Optiarc forums for it?

EDIT: I have had a look but there is hundreds of pages and i cannot find the ‘solution’.

[QUOTE=Zonchord;2501085]There is a solution? So you want me to look in the Optiarc forums for it?[/quote]It is always a good idea to read the FAQ :wink:

EDIT: I have had a look but there is hundreds of pages and i cannot find the ‘solution’.
Checking the few “Read First” is good enough to start with :smiley:

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2501092]It is always a good idea to read the FAQ :wink:

Checking the few “Read First” is good enough to start with :smiley:

Michael[/QUOTE]

I have taken your advice and i think i have found the solution now. Is the solution to flash the drive with Liggy’s hacked firmware from http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/en/Optiarc-AD-7240S/?

Exactly :slight_smile:

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2501098]Exactly :slight_smile:

Michael[/QUOTE]

Although the hacked firmware is useful, i still don’t like using it, so for that reason i will buy a drive which comes with bitsetting support. I just think custom-made firmware is a bit unstable.

Well, I don’t consider missing bitsetting an issue.
Bitsetting is useful if you have a fossile DVD player and you insist on using DVD+R to feed it. Modern DVD players don’t have any problem with DVD+R playback.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2501102]Well, I don’t consider missing bitsetting an issue.
Bitsetting is useful if you have a fossile DVD player and you insist on using DVD+R to feed it. Modern DVD players don’t have any problem with DVD+R playback.

Michael[/QUOTE]

I do agree with you, but the problem is, DVD-R is more compatable, but DVD+R has more features. So i want to merge the two by using bitsetting - i want full features with full compatability.

Liggy’s bitsetting firmware hack is stable for the Optiarc 7240s.

Concerning compatability… DVD-R is not a guarantee of compatability. The neighbor’s 3 year old Toshiba TV/DVD [B]combo[/B] plays DVD+R that have the bitset changed play fine. DVD-R do not play. Both discs are Taiyo Yuden with smooth Transfer Rate Test curves and Disk Quality scans from Ner CD/DVD Speed test. Both disks play in a number of other players/drives.

[QUOTE=bulletx;2502118]Liggy’s bitsetting firmware hack is stable for the Optiarc 7240s.

Concerning compatability… DVD-R is not a guarantee of compatability. The neighbor’s 3 year old Toshiba TV/DVD [B]combo[/B] plays DVD+R that have the bitset changed play fine. DVD-R do not play. Both discs are Taiyo Yuden with smooth Transfer Rate Test curves and Disk Quality scans from Ner CD/DVD Speed test. Both disks play in a number of other players/drives.[/QUOTE]

Always the same wrong myth…
The player itself is the problem, not DVD-R media.

[QUOTE=chef;2502262]Always the same wrong myth…
The player itself is the problem, not DVD-R media.[/QUOTE]
That’s what I was saying.