Sony Optiarc AD-7190 Not reading disks

[qanda]This thread is about the Optiarc AD-7190A. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I just purchased the Optiarc AD-7190. I already had a DVD-ROM and a CD burner in my Dell computer. I removed the CD Burner first and replaced it with the DVD Burner. It would not recognize the burner was there (did not show the E: drive). I then took that out and put the CD burner back in and replaced the DVD-ROM with the DVD burner. It finally recognized the drive was there. However, when I try to run any cds or dvds in it, it will open and eject, but will not run the dvd or cd. Also, if I try to copy a dvd with Nero 8, it says “aborted by operator”. It will not recognize a cd or dvd is in the drive. I was thinking that maybe the CD Burner is overriding the DVD burner, as it has CD burning capabilities also. Could this be true, and maybe I just need to unplug the CD burner? Or can someone give me an idea as to why its not reading any disks? Thank you.

Start with the basics…IDE or SATA? If it’s IDE are you setting the jumper (master/slave/cable select) correctly? Also, the end connector should be the “master” drive and the middle connector the “slave” drive.

This is the interface: ATAPI / E-IDE, so I take it thats IDE. I not real computer saavy…sorry. Can you put it in laymans terms on what I should do? I plugged both CD Burner and Optiarc DVD Burner in the same as when the DVD ROM was plugged in. (CD RW is top slot, and DVD RW is second slot, and internal floppy drive is 3rd slot down on tower). I just replaced the DVD Rom with the DVD Burner. (The plugs are one white one with 4 prongs, and one long black one with a bunch of tiny prongs). So are you saying that the white 4 prong should be plugged in, and the middle long black one not plugged in, or are you saying that the top (end) should be the DVD RW and the Middle should be the CD burner and third floppy, as in respect as to what slot each is placed in?? Sorry, confused.

When I turned on the computer after install, it did have me turn on drives 4 and 5 and turn off drive 1 that was originally on. It beeped and told me to hit F2 to boot setup and change that drive. Drive 4 I believe is showing Master and Drive 5 is slave. I am not at home right now to look at it. It also did not show any new hardware when I first restarted the computer, but the DVD-RW drive is showing under E:\

Here is what I purchased:

AD7190A
Supported format DVD single / dual layer ( PTP / OTP ), DVD-R ( 3.9 GB / 4.7 GB ), DVD-R multi-borders, DVD+R, DVD+R multi-sessions, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, CD-DA, CD-ROM, CD-ROM / XA, Photo-CD, Multi-session, Karaoke-CD, Video-CD, CD-I FMV, CD Extra, CD Plus, CD-R, CD-RW
Write Speed DVD-RAM : 12X
DVD+R DL: 8X max
DVD-R DL: 8X max
DVD+R: 20X max
DVD+RW: 8X max
DVD-R: 20X max
DVD-RW: 6X max
CD-R: 48X max
CD-RW: 24X max
Read Speed CD-ROM: 48X Max
DVD-ROM: 18X Max
Buffer Size 2MB
Interface ATAPI / E-IDE
Random Access Time DVD-ROM: 160 ms
CD-ROM: 160 ms
Data Transfer Rate DVD Family: 20X (21600 KB/sec) max
CD Family: 48X (7200 KB/sec) max
Form Factor 5"
Software Contents Nero 7
System Requirements Pentium 4 1.3 GHz or faster CPU and 128 MB or higher RAM are required
650 MB HDD available capacity; and 5 GB free space for creating a DVD image file
OS Requirements Windows 98 / ME / 2000 / XP

So if you could walk me thru step by step what to do (I know I am asking a lot), it would be a big help.

Thanks.

First off, check to make sure you have an 80 wire cable connecting the motherboard to this new drive. I’m including a picture of the two types. The 80 wire IDE cable is at the bottom of this picture.

The little jumper on the back of the drive has to be set correctly. If you have the dvd drive on the end of the cable, set the jumper to Cable Select (Master should work too for this setup). Most Dell computers I’ve seen use cable select rather than Master/Slave, but it should work either way.

Plug in the power connection too of course.

Okay, the one I have plugged in looks like the black top one, not the blue one, but its thinner (like the blue one where you can barely see the ridges). It’s the same wire cable that was orginally plugged into the DVD Rom that I replaced with the DVD Burner. Shouldnt it work with the same connection? I will check on the jumper when I get home.

Thanks for your help. I wish I was more computer saavy, but I am not so I will probaby ask a lot of questions.

The number of wires in the cable is the main thing to look for, and it sounds like you have an 80 wire cable. The blue connector goes to the motherboard. The ones on the other end are usually black.

Okay, so if that is connected correctly, and the little white connector (4 prongs) is connected correctly, what else do I need to do? Is there a little switch somewhere that I need to change on the DVD burner itself? Here is the link to what I bought (if you can open it).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=130157350731

Otherwise, can you kind of walk me thru what I should change? i.e. F2 on start up and change the drives? Or something else i need to do with the computer or hookups?? Like I said, a lot of computer jargin I dont understand, so be as simple as you can…LOL Thanks… Sorry to be such a pest, I just really need help. PS, you said something about setting the jumper on the cable…where is that located?

Ok, I’ve taken a picture of an old drive and there is a red arrow pointing at the jumper. You have to plug it into the pins. In your case you should look for the cable select setting. It will be marked on the drive. The picture shows this jumper set to Master on this drive, but every drive is slightly different…you have to look on your drive to see where the jumper goes.

Thanks!! That picture is great! One last question before I get home and try it? Will the jumper be on it already, or do I have to purchase one? Or do I take it off the CD Burner and put it on the DVD burner? I will add more when I get home in a couple of hours and let you know how that works. Thanks for being so helpful!!!

The jumper should be on the drive now. It is easy to switch to the correct position if you need to move it.

Thanks so much!! Fingers crossed it works!! :flower: I will let you know.
Sincerely, Tami

Kerry, I found out that my Optiarc is a AD-7200 not a 7190. But I did change the jumper on the DVD Burner to Master and the one on the CD burner to slave. It is recognized as the master on drive E:\ now. However, now the issue is that it will not play anything that is inserted into the drive. Does not run at all. Does not recognize that there is a dvd inserted. Any suggestions now??

Ok, I’m hoping you have the dvd burner hooked up to the very end connector of the IDE cable now, and the cd burner is on the middle connection.

Since it does show up in Widows Explorer there is some hope. Have you checked in Device Manager and looked for optical drives there? Do you see any yellow ! marks next to them?

Is the cd burner working correctly at this point?

Have you tried different media in the dvd burner? Can you play a commercially made dvd movie in the dvd drive? If you don’t have software for playing dvd movies on the computer, download VLC media player to test it. www.videolan.org

[QUOTE=colorsilk;2197663]Kerry, I found out that my Optiarc is a AD-7200 not a 7190. But I did change the jumper on the DVD Burner to Master and the one on the CD burner to slave. It is recognized as the master on drive E:\ now. However, now the issue is that it will not play anything that is inserted into the drive. Does not run at all. Does not recognize that there is a dvd inserted. Any suggestions now??[/QUOTE]
Don’t connect the CD burner for now. Set the 7200 to CS (cable select) and plug it into the end of the IDE cable.

Ok, I’m hoping you have the dvd burner hooked up to the very end connector of the IDE cable now,

Mystic: I will try your suggestion as soon as I get home tonight. I did unplug the CD burner at one point and left the DVD burner as master, but that still did not work. I will try switching it to cable select.

Kerry: You said you hope I have the DVD burner connected to the very end connector of the IDE cable, http://obietron.com/dvdrom.htm (see picture top right). CD RW and DVD share same cable. (I am not sure how to attach a picture here) and I tried it in the end cable and the middle cable.

Like I said, it recognizes the burner, but if you insert a DVD (yes, I tried a regular store bought DVD movie), it does not spin (green light only comes on as soon as you put the dvd in, and then it stops) and if you double click the drive the DVD burner is on, it shows nothing there.

Thank you for all of your help. I found out that the unit has a problem and I am returning it for a replacement. Hopefully the next one should not be an issue. Its been a pleasure talking with you all. You have been a great help.