Sony Optiarc AD-5170A

[qanda]This thread is about the Sony AD-5170 Black. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Of late, I’ve realised that I haven’t been able to write only DVD-R discs, DVD+R discs burn just fine… When I try to burn the DVD-R disc, it says “Illegal Medium”, but the disc looks fine… I had a problem when I couldn’t read DVD-R discs, but then after flashing it with Liggy’s AD-5170A Bitsetting Firmware 1.13… But I haven’t been able to write DVD-R discs ever since… But also from just recently, I haven’t been able to erase DVDs as well… Any firmware upgrade which can help? Please don’t ask me to format my drive because I’ve tried and it doesn’t work…

Boot up in safe mode and try again.

nope… still doesn’t work… I tried flashing it with Liggy’s firmware again as well… Doesn’t work…

wel guys??

What message do you get when trying to erase RW?

What brand of DVD-R are you trying to write? Is it only with a recently purchased set of the same brand of media, or are you using a package/spindle of DVD-R media that has previously worked?

when I try to erase DVD-RW, i dont get any particular message as such… The disc still appears to be written(that circular bifurcation is visible) and once I write data to it, it completes as well, but on trying to open on the system, it says that the disk is a CD-R with 0 bytes used and 0 bytes free…

Moser Baer… I used to write DVD-R media before, but discarded the same, I shifted over to DVD+R but came back to DVD-R once I could read DVD-R again. But yes, this is the first spindle I’ve used in a long time which is DVD-R… I could write a DVD+R just fine just yesterday as well…

BTW, I stopped using DVD-R in the first place cuz my system wouldn’t read DVD-R media…