Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black SATA Model AD-7240S-0B - $25.99 @ NewEgg/free shipping

[QUOTE=NBR;2445310]well i just burned a Verbatim DVD-R disc here on the 7240S @ 20x speed and it was basically top notch besides that brief 8PIF spike. but the data seemed to copy back to the hard drive fine without any dips in transfer speeds :wink: … it’s weird seeing solid burns like this at insane speeds when i was used to 8x and that was it on my Liteon 1673S ;)[/QUOTE]

I wonder if your 1673S would like 1693S-KC4B? http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares.html
My own drive was just too exhausted to use this firmware, so I had to stick with KSO9, but I suppose that some people may have luck with “modernizing” their 1673s.

@ Daniel … i aint tried that yet but i seen it over the years of being here but i never got around to doing it since it appears you need to do a few burns @ 8x etc etc before attempting a 12x burn and even then it aint guaranteed to work on all drives and since i was still getting quality burns @ 8x i figured i would hold off on it.

and i figure either way i don’t think that firmware will fix my failure’s on Verbatim DVD+R DL media because the only logical explanation i can come up with is maybe the laser weakened just enough to where it don’t like DL media because like i said it burns perfectly fine on regular DVD-R or +R discs @ 8x (scans still have low PIE/PIF (generally no more than 3PIF at any spike))… and it (i.e. 1673S) used to burn DVD+R DL fine but now it don’t so it has to be something in the drive going bad.

but i figured i got my moneys worth out of the Liteon 1673S drive as, like i said, i had it since 2005 and it’s been a good burner but ill mostly be using it as a disc quality scanner with Kprobe now :wink:

but anyways thanks for your attempted help.

p.s. i was having a issue with the 1673S a while ago… when it was burning DL media it burned it fine and said ‘success’ on ImgBurn but the disc recording surface (i made a thread on this a while ago but no one could help as it was a weird issue i am sure was on the uncommon side. here is that thread… http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/liteon-1673s-dvd-r-dl-burning-acting-up-277108/ ) was all weird looking (as you can see in the link) and the backup would not load in the XBox360… then i reset the learned media etc etc and burned another disc and it worked (disc surface looked fine then, as you can see in the link) and then a few months later i was attempting to burn another XBox360 backup (which was within the last week or two) and the write process was erroring randomly (roughly in the first 2GB-ish range) and it was on the first layer to. so i said screw it and ordered the 7240S and could not be happier as my batch of Verbatim DVD+R DL (made in singapore) (i had since around April 2007) started working again so it had to be a issue with the Liteon 1673S drive itself… plus it’s nice to be able to burn @ lightning speeds (i.e. 20x) on regular DVD-R/+R media and still have quality disc scans … plus not to mention the 7240S reads back burned discs MUCH faster than my 1673S. you can feel it was a big upgrade :wink:

Newegg has it now Oct. 05,2009 for $29.99 USD with free shipping. Ordered me one last night.

[QUOTE=G_Ivan Awfulitch;2446234]Newegg has it now Oct. 05,2009 for $29.99 USD with free shipping. Ordered me one last night.[/QUOTE]

yeah i noticed that :frowning: … i bought mine about a little over a week ago for $32.49 (with free ship) on ebay which at the time was the cheapest i could find the 7240S drive for at the time.

but it’s only $2.49 difference and my drive seems to be working well so i can’t complain because you hear some people getting drives with crap burn quality etc etc and mine seems to work great so far so it was worth every cent :wink:

it’s pretty much superior to my old Liteon 1673S drive in every way… it’s quieter, it weights less (lol), it reads discs much faster etc etc… about the only thing i like the Liteon for is disc scanning which it seems to do well.

How do you feel about the litescribe version? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118032

would the optiarc work on a via 6421 card? got it to flash xbox

If it’s the only drive on that card it should work, if you try to add another drive it may or may not. I have a 6421a card and I had to try 3 different burner combos before I found 2 that worked OK in all functions. I also had to put one drive on the external port and one on the internal port as mine has 3 and they don’t seem to work when all 3 are populated. So far the IDE port hasn’t had any problems with my left over 120 I added to it.
It’s a very picky card anyways when trying to use more then one drive at a time and there are so many variations of that card yours might be different then the one I got as some have extra jumpers to disable unused ports, mine doesn’t.
It does however work in win7 but it slows down my boot time as it takes a while to poll the card and drives then continue to boot.

Newegg 72 hr sale good till midnight 1/10/10 (P.S.T.)
7240S=$25.99 here
7241S=$26.99 there

Yo dave-

Y’all just beat me to it bra

-eh!!

Trying to decide whether I should get the 7241 this time…hum…

[QUOTE=negritude;2483662]Trying to decide whether I should get the 7241 this time…hum…[/QUOTE]

LOL!!! go ahead you know you want it :bigsmile:

Mine come on Thursday, installed it this morning

The tray is a little noisy opening/closing (I’m Spoiled by BenQ and Pioneer drives I suppose).

first burns looking pretty impressive

Now $24.99 with free shipping. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118030 :D:iagree:

This is a really nice drive I just bought three of them in the last few days. With Liggy’s firmware on them they are even better. Look in the NEC forum.

Thanks, Thunderbolt69. I just ordered one for the computer I hope to buy soon (if there could only be a decent hot deal on one).

I noticed that Superbiiz (ewiz.com) also has this drive for $27.99 with free shipping. Has anyone ever ordered from them? They’re listed as 3%-5% cashback on Bing.com. It might be a good secondary site when Newegg is out of stock on a particular model.

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=AD7240S-0B&c=pw

Hey there, just got a 7240S and was running it off on board sata, have changed firmware to liggy’s stuff, but I am getting dodgy burns. I have even gone as far as to set the write speed to the lowest and still dodgy burns. I have created the backups from my Kreon as it should be, but yeah man getting a bit frustrated about 10 coasters so far, running out of space on the old coffee table. Just so that you guys are aware, I have been backing up with my Samsung SH-D16b flashed with the SH-D16B_SB01_KREON_V.100 firmware, burning with an Optiarc AD-7240S Flashed with Liggys 103bt_orig firmware, and my xbox has a benq drive flashed with Ixtreme 1.61. the Media I have been using are Philips DVD+R DL 8x.
Now, the first game I backed up was GTA 4, first was a coaster but then upgraded Optiarc to latest manufacturer firmware and all was fine and I got a decent burn @ 2.4x day tried to burn my copy of tekken 6, and what do you know, at least 5 coasters due to errors varying from freezing at the layer break, to disc validation errors. I then upgraded to Liggy’s firmware and today I got a burn that completed ok, you know, completed and passed validation, but will not play. Have ordered verbatims, due to arrive tomorrow, will let you know how I get on I hope it is just a crappy media issue as I cannot think what else to do. Any suggestions as I was beginng to question the AD-7240S drive?:confused:

I scored one from ZZF for $20. I forget if I used CB but I may have gotten Bing CB and FWCB to bring it even lower.

[QUOTE=Parato Optimal;2493046]I scored one from ZZF for $20.[/QUOTE]

I assume that was after a rebate?

Yes,

$34.99

• 0.35 (1% Fatwallet Cash Back
  • 0.70 (2% bing Cash Back
  • 15.00 rebate
    ==========
    $18.94

The rebate is good through 2/28.
As of 2/10 the starting price has gone up from 34.99 to 37.99. So, you can still get it for $21.85 AR, ABCB, AFWCB.
Shipping is free and I wasn’t charged tax.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10010321

[QUOTE=negritude;2493071]I assume that was after a rebate?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=solidbaseseven;2493041]Hey there, just got a 7240S and was running it off on board sata, have changed firmware to liggy’s stuff, but I am getting dodgy burns. I have even gone as far as to set the write speed to the lowest and still dodgy burns. I have created the backups from my Kreon as it should be, but yeah man getting a bit frustrated about 10 coasters so far, running out of space on the old coffee table. Just so that you guys are aware, I have been backing up with my Samsung SH-D16b flashed with the SH-D16B_SB01_KREON_V.100 firmware, burning with an Optiarc AD-7240S Flashed with Liggys 103bt_orig firmware, and my xbox has a benq drive flashed with Ixtreme 1.61. the Media I have been using are Philips DVD+R DL 8x.
Now, the first game I backed up was GTA 4, first was a coaster but then upgraded Optiarc to latest manufacturer firmware and all was fine and I got a decent burn @ 2.4x day tried to burn my copy of tekken 6, and what do you know, at least 5 coasters due to errors varying from freezing at the layer break, to disc validation errors. I then upgraded to Liggy’s firmware and today I got a burn that completed ok, you know, completed and passed validation, but will not play. Have ordered verbatims, due to arrive tomorrow, will let you know how I get on I hope it is just a crappy media issue as I cannot think what else to do. Any suggestions as I was beginng to question the AD-7240S drive?:confused:[/QUOTE]

i have Liggy’s firmware (v1.03) on my 7240S and it burns XBox360 games fine @ 4x on Verbatim DVD+R DL media.

you should not have any issues.