Sony officially discontinues Superbit DVDs

vbimport

I just posted the article Sony officially discontinues Superbit DVDs.

Several years back, Sony introduced Superbit to improve the clarity, picture quality and sound quality over regular DVDs. But to help promote Blu-ray, Sony has officially dropped its…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12895-Sony-officially-discontinues-Superbit-DVDs.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12895-Sony-officially-discontinues-Superbit-DVDs.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

It’s funny, now that I have an upconverting DVD player and a large HDTV, I had actually been CONSIDERING buying some SuperBIT DVDs just to see if it finally made a difference to me or not. Well, I guess I won’t be :stuck_out_tongue:

I prefer Superbit over having all the extras that I never watched. But its just marketing for high-bitrate encoded movies. Many non-Sony companies released DVDs also encoded at high bitrates for premium quality. Watch the intro to The Incredibles and you’ll learn that its encoed at the max rates etc… I recently got the HD DVD drive for my 360 and I notice compression artifacts in particular on Sky Captain HD DVD and I wonder if a superbit HD DVD would help. Those 51 GB discs (or even 45 GB) sound interesting. :slight_smile: For blu-ray I wonder if 50 GB is enough for a “Superbit bluray” ? It should be, HD is 6x the resolution, blu-ray is 6x the capactiy and they use MPEG2 for now.

One thing I was worried about was that some movie studios would start releasing crap quality DVDs with “high quality” HD-DVDs or Blu-Ray. Sony’s announcement of discontinuing the Superbit comes close to that… You would think that DVDs would have the trickle down effect of better quality pictures. To get a movie print transfer in good enough shape for a quality HD-DVD/Blu Ray release should mean that the regular DVD should be awesome. It will be interesting to see what happens…

Wait a second…wasn’t Blu-Ray developed in 2002? It says in the article around 2000-2001. Am I reading that wrong?

this clearly shows that well mastered dvd can still be sharp enough for many. i really hope other studios support high bit rate dvds since hd-dvd seems like easier to crack, my support goes to hd-dvd if i have to choose between bd & hd-dvd

you lot are funny, there’s nothing special about superbit dvds. they are just dvds using the bit rate they all should use. when double layer dvds first came out they all looked as good as superbit dvds, until they started filling the disc with pointless extras that nobody ever watches.

“superbit” dvds don’t look anywhere near as good as hd-dvdblueray, they can’t even be comparted, i noticed some uninformed ignorant person posting earlier as if they could be compared. they just look good for a dvd. there are women in their 50s who look good for their age. nobody is stupid enough to compare them to a sleek 19 year old though are they?

ignorance on these reactings is staring to reach an all time low. everyone comments on stuff they don’t even understand, heck you guys no less than most people who aren’t even interested in technical stuff.

to the bloke up the top, there are no artifacts on sky captain, its your screen not set to the correct brightnesscontrastcoloursharpnes. there maybe some film grain but thats nothing to do with bit rate.

[Few comments edited out - please respect our reaction policy]

I mean heck, the way you lot are talking it sounds like you’ve never even heard of a superbit DVD!!! Some of you think it could have been a rival to HD-DVD… :r

yet more Sony proprietary crap format that never went anywhere. add that to the list that includes Beta, MiniDisc, Digital8, MicroMV, SACD, UMD, and of course, tentatively BluRay. AHAHAHAHAHA! XP

Actually it was one of the few non-proprietary Sony formats. Superbit DVDs were just standard high bitrate double layer DVD with no extras.

"you lot are funny, there’s nothing special about superbit dvds. they are just dvds using the bit rate they all should use. when double layer dvds first came out they all looked as good as superbit dvds, until they started filling the disc with pointless extras that nobody ever watches. “superbit” dvds don’t look anywhere near as good as hd-dvdblueray, they can’t even be comparted, i noticed some uninformed ignorant person posting earlier as if they could be compared. they just look good for a dvd. there are women in their 50s who look good for their age. nobody is stupid enough to compare them to a sleek 19 year old though are they? ignorance on these reactings is staring to reach an all time low. everyone comments on stuff they don’t even understand, heck you guys no less than most people who aren’t even interested in technical stuff. to the bloke up the top, there are no artifacts on sky captain, its your screen not set to the correct brightnesscontrastcoloursharpnes. there maybe some film grain but thats nothing to do with bit rate. " Talking about murdering the English language.

But true :slight_smile: Some bloke up there thinks superbit is a proprietory format??? :+ And these people can vote? Most people give comment when they have a strong view or something to add, this person doesn’t even know what he’s commenting on, but still thought he would… No wonder labour are in power :slight_smile: