SONY OEM DVD RW Q-120A firmfare crossflashing possible?

vbimport

ok i am new to this forums…and have only done flashing of firmware and all just once…
so i am not a total noob…but not an experienced guy too…
so what i want to ask is …i too have the same OEM SONY DVD RW Q-120A drive. which i dont find very good in terms of quality burns and even reading dvds…
so successfully will flashing the firmware to a LITE ON one as said by Codeking and others in the above posts. will show some better performance and better burns ?
also what are the + points of flashing it to the LITE ON .firmware. ??is it worth taking the risk …? also can i revert back to original firmware if anything goes wrong ?

hope my doubts will be cleared …expecting some detailed answers…for my first post in the forums …!
thanx…in advance…

NEED SOME QUICK REPLIES…GUYS…CMON DONT DISAPPOINT ME…GIVE SOME REPLIES., I NEED HELP…

According to http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=205452 it can be cross flashed to SHM-165P6S LiteOn, but I don’t know if it can be back flashed.

thats not the answer to my question,… i need to if is there any advantage as such of doing it ??

Hi,

:cop: This is a double posting, you know this is against the rules here :cop:

What firmware version is installed on your drive? Make sure, you have latest official firmware from Sony. Unfortunately, sonyisstorage.com has reorganized their website, so I couln’t find the last version there, but maybe there are other sources for that.
Burn quality depends on the media you feed your drive with, no firmware can turn crap into gold. Also, I doubt, that the reading performance was improved with newer firmwares, Liteon firmware included.

so successfully will flashing the firmware to a LITE ON one as said by Codeking and others in the above posts. will show some better performance and better burns ?
It depends, see above.

also what are the + points of flashing it to the LITE ON .firmware. ??is it worth taking the risk …?
At least you will void your warranty. The advantage of Liteon firmware is support for jitter scanning with Nero CD/DVD Speed and Online Hypertuning that can be enabled with the test version of SmartBurn Utility.

also can i revert back to original firmware if anything goes wrong ?
You can crossflash your DW-Q120A to Liteon SHW-160P6S and vice versa. You need patched firmware, that you can find in the firmware thread here.

Michael

ohh god…someone plzz…help…me i am completely screwed…all screwed…i dunno what to do…
i flashed my sony dvd rw q 120A to 160P6S.PS0B.stock and then to 165P6S.MS0R.stock
and god knows what all i have done using. EEPROM_Utility …
and now my dvd drive doesnt read or write anything…
is there any way to diagnose the problem and know what the problem is ??
i just dunoo what to do ? i had backup of my old original sony flash also but once
i start it …it says no compatiable drive found…
plzz tell me what to do ??
any software which will give report of the drive ,so that u cant tell me what to do next ?

PLEASE HELP ME SAVE MY DRIVE !!!

^I told you to post your queries on TE… you wouldn’t listen…
Your drive is a 160P6S, NOT a 165P6S… why did you flash it to the 165P6S…?

so u there on TE tooo ??..yeah man TE wud have been better with more quick replies…
here no one replies…to queries…i though a special optical drive dedicated forum would be better for help…but i was wrong. !
hmmm…ohk my drive is back to normal…means i flashed it to 160P6S and not it shows as LITE-ON 160P6S and works perfectly…

Sounds like you did a bit of research, that is a good thing. Not postive, but from what I understand is that you can now flash it to a LITE-ON 165P6S to hopefully enable DVD-RAM capabilities.
I know I just flashed mine to that and it is all good. I just need t o burn a few more disc to see what kind of quality it gives me.

Am on TE too. Nick - TechHead.