Sony-NEC:BR-5100S OEM problem

[qanda]This thread is about the Sony BR-5100S. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I’m trying to run this OEM blu ray driver on windows xp home edition service pack 3. I can play a normal cd and it will recognize it with no problem. But the blu ray drive wont recognize the blu ray cds. I know it is a firmware issue but i cant find one for this OEM drive. If there isn’t a firmware update is there any way i can modify my computer so my blu ray drive will work correctly?

Can you please elaborate more about “blu ray drive wont recognize the blu ray cds”. Is it a Blu-ray movie or BD disc? What software/tool did you use to read or play the disc?

I inserted a blu ray disc called 88 minutes into my oem sony optiarc nec 5100S. My computer keeps saying the disk is not ready when i click on the blu ray drive when the disc is inserted. I tested the same BD drive on a vista and on my xp. The vista recognized the the blu ray disk drive as BD-ROM drive right away without any driver installations. My xp recognizes the blu ray dosk drive as a dvd-ROM. The vista plays the disk fine on powerdvd 9 while my xp can’t even recognize the disc to play on PDVD. Does that single the problem out a little better?

If your drive works on Vista and doesn’t work on your XP machine, then it’s the XP problem not the drive.

Hi

HTPC n00b - looking for help

some BD movie discs play on my rig, and some do not even show up - PC just says the drive empty

I have a BR 5100 S (SATA)
ATI Radeon 4350 (from HIS)
Tried a number of BD playing SW, using Arcsoft TotalMedia

Detaild specs here :http://bit.ly/aKRErX

[QUOTE=c0lin8r;2490503]Hi

HTPC n00b - looking for help

some BD movie discs play on my rig, and some do not even show up - PC just says the drive empty

I have a BR 5100 S (SATA)
ATI Radeon 4350 (from HIS)
Tried a number of BD playing SW, using Arcsoft TotalMedia

UPDATE

1. Put in a “working” BD movie (i.e. Star Trek): works fine
  2. Put in a “non-working” BD movie (i.e. Planet Earth): My Computer slows to a crarl, then says “insert a disc into Drive” - disc not recognized
  3. Here’s where it gets weird: put a CD or DVD into the drive, STILL DOES NOT RECOGNIZE DISC, even after reboot
  4. Put in Put in a “working” BD movie (i.e. Star Trek): works fine AGAIN
  5. Put in a CD or DVD - works fine

rinse and repeat… what gives?