Sony MID

vbimport

Who manufactures blank DVD media for Sony? The MID says Sony but I thought Sony stopped making their own blanks. And they were made in India, Malaysia plus japan.

Thank you in advance for any info.

It should tell you on the label where they were made.

Sorry I should have made it clearer, The country is clearly stated in the label but I would like to know if it was made by the likes of CMC, TY, etc,

[QUOTE=delerue;2069020]Sorry I should have made it clearer, The country is clearly stated in the label but I would like to know if it was made by the likes of CMC, TY, etc,[/QUOTE]

Japan - Taiyo Yuden
Taiwan - Daxon, LeadData
Malaysia - Daxon
India - Moser Baer India
Austria - Sony

[QUOTE=pepst;2069036]Japan - Taiyo Yuden
Taiwan - Daxon, LeadData
Malaysia - Daxon
India - Moser Baer India
Austria - Sony[/QUOTE]

Japan media can also be made by Sony themselves, or at least, they were at one time. Sony no longer sells any Japanese media (outside of Japan), their’s or TY’s, so the issue is moot.

And Lead Data is two words, not one. :flower:

[QUOTE=negritude;2069078]Japan media can also be made by Sony themselves, or at least, they were at one time. Sony no longer sells any Japanese media (outside of Japan), their’s or TY’s, so the issue is moot.

And Lead Data is two words, not one. :flower:[/QUOTE]
I list only the present manufacturers of Sony media :stuck_out_tongue:
And LeadData was just a typo :doh::bigsmile:

If I may remind people that, if I remember correctly, you will rarely/never get Lead Data-made discs under the Sony brand. That means that Sony-branded made in Taiwan media will be made by Daxon. Sony media made by Lead Data is produced for LD’s own brands and other brands that use Sony media.

I’d like to note 2 things I notice personally while shopping:

The amount of made in Taiwan media in spindles is dropping off in my area [Southeast U.S., retail shopping at Best Buy, Staples, and Wal*Mart]. The new packaging spindles are becoming more geared towards Daxon’s Malaysia operation [again, in my area]. I still find the odd Taiwanese package, though.

Whereas the 10-pack jewel case packs of Sony 16x media used to be made by Sony in Japan, it is now looking like they are going for Daxon’s Taiwanese media [backing up the idea of Sony not making much of their own media for most markets]. Quality is probably still good for the 10-pack jewel case packs regardless of origin.

Please note that this post refers to Sony’s 16x DVD±R 4.7 GB media, not to DVD+R DL, DVD±RW, CD-R or CD-RW.

[QUOTE=pepst;2069036]Japan - Taiyo Yuden
Taiwan - Daxon, LeadData
Malaysia - Daxon
India - Moser Baer India
Austria - Sony[/QUOTE]

Japan with sony MID is sony.
TY stuff uses the TY code.

[QUOTE=dakhaas;2070374]Japan with sony MID is sony.
TY stuff uses the TY code.[/QUOTE]
:doh::doh::doh::doh: Of course, I forgot that we are talking only about media with Sony MID. Sorry.

[QUOTE=Albert;2069597]If I may remind people that, if I remember correctly, you will rarely/never get Lead Data-made discs under the Sony brand. That means that Sony-branded made in Taiwan media will be made by Daxon. Sony media made by Lead Data is produced for LD’s own brands and other brands that use Sony media.

I’d like to note 2 things I notice personally while shopping:

The amount of made in Taiwan media in spindles is dropping off in my area [Southeast U.S., retail shopping at Best Buy, Staples, and Wal*Mart]. The new packaging spindles are becoming more geared towards Daxon’s Malaysia operation [again, in my area]. I still find the odd Taiwanese package, though.

Whereas the 10-pack jewel case packs of Sony 16x media used to be made by Sony in Japan, it is now looking like they are going for Daxon’s Taiwanese media [backing up the idea of Sony not making much of their own media for most markets]. Quality is probably still good for the 10-pack jewel case packs regardless of origin.[/QUOTE]

Yep, agree 100% will all of that.

Lead Data-made Sony is what you find under off and house-brands like the “Great Quality” disks sold at Fry’s Electronics in the United States.

Sony MIT DVD-R has been dwindling for quite awhile, as Daxon switched most of the -R production to Malaysia over a year ago at least. Previously, the DVD+R has remained MIT, but that may be changing as well.

Even though 16x MIJ in spindles had disappeared long ago, you could still find them in the 5 and 10-packs with jewel cases. No more.

Are you serious? The GQ junk sold at Fry’s is the same as the higher-priced Sony MIT ?
Why such a great price differential? Again, I feel us consumers are screwed!

The Great Quality, as has been said, is made by Lead Data. The Sony media is made by Daxon. Daxon usually has better quality control, although you can find some GQ-branded Sony by LD that is good and SCANS better than Daxon-made media found under the Sony brand.

The thing is, GQ media should not be used to determine the quality of all the MIDs it may use. Just because they have the same Sony MID and are made with the same Sony technology, there can easily be a difference in quality between manufacturers. There should NOT be, but it is entirely possible. [Example: the multiple manufacturers of Verbatim DVD+R DL media, where Verbatim’s own media is generally tons better than media made by Moser Baer with Verbatim’s technology for Verbatim.]

[QUOTE=delerue;2070604]Are you serious? The GQ junk sold at Fry’s is the same as the higher-priced Sony MIT? Why such a great price differential? Again, I feel us consumers are screwed![/QUOTE]

1. The materials are the same, but the quality is not equivalent. Media that has the Sony brand name is usually produced with much better quality control standards, so if you have to choose, go with Sony-branded media.

2. The cost of the GQ media at Fry’s is usually about the same as Sony brand media. Unless there is a special sale or a rebate on the GQ media, it’s usually about $20 per 100 disks. Sony brand media can be easily found for $22.99 per 100 disks, or $24.99 per 100 at most. If you have coupons, Sony brand media can be as cheap as $12.99 per 100. So the difference in price is negligible. The only time it makes sense to buy the GQ disks is when there is a big rebate or a special anniversary sale. Otherwise, skip it.

Holy crap you guys get DVDs less than half the price than we do… no fair. And on the highstreet!

Highstreet price here for a pack of 25 Sony DVDs is like £9.99 ($19) and about £6 ($11) online.
Cheapest I can see atm is £18 ($35) for a 100 pack of Verbatims, and that’s online sale price…