Sony may leave behind Cell architecture in PS4

vbimport

I just posted the article Sony may leave behind Cell architecture in PS4.

[quote][/quote]

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/sony-may-leave-behind-cell-architecture-in-ps4-24198/](http://www.myce.com/news/sony-may-leave-behind-cell-architecture-in-ps4-24198/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Of course Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo are already planning for the future. That should be no surprise. I wonder why the cell architecture is being abandoned though?

I heard it is much harder and more costly to devlope games on it. Because every thing is already being made for standared CPU its cheaper and easier to make a game for all systems with slight variations then make a 2nd version just for the PS3.

[QUOTE=glamdring92;2480715]I heard it is much harder and more costly to devlope games on it. Because every thing is already being made for standared CPU its cheaper and easier to make a game for all systems with slight variations then make a 2nd version just for the PS3.[/QUOTE]
Source?

Somehow, I’d expect Sony (and every game console manufacturer) would have a developers kit so they stick the source code game/engine in, and out pops compiled binary for the PS3 … just add textures.

Hopefully after 3 years, developers which deserve the name, will be familiar with Cell programming & abandoning the Cell architecture now would peeve the developers.

It’d be a stupid move by Sony, to abandon the CELL architecture, unless they’re expecting to retire all PS3 games immediately upon PS4 release, and peeve off all their customer base, like the transition from PS2 to PS3 … but hey, it worked for M$. M$ fanboys are still thrilled about their Xbox360’s.

I’ll still maintain that it would be smarter to increase the SPE count, then go dual/triple/quad core, increase the clock speed, add more ram & etc - maintain backwards compatibility (for the majority of games) and yeehaw - ride the fanbase!

The CELL was the first GGPU, and the larribee the second, and the Larribee has been abandoned (in the consumer segment) by Intel. Guess it didn’t work out as feasible as they expected.

sorry for off topic, but I’m finally a happy ps3 owner now and am still trying to find a happy merger between my HDD and ps3… have the WiFi linked, Comp shows up on ps3 menus, and through WMPlayer I’ve gotten some songs and a couple vids to come up in ps3 navigation…

any tips or pointers to make me smile even wider and enjoy my new toy more would be appreciated! You guys seem like people who would know :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

thanks!

-The Buk

I think there biggest advantage to dropping CELL and going to a normal one would be the price. It would be much cheaper to mass manufacture a normal processor because they already are. But in the end i don’t care to much. I got the new systems but i don’t know if i will get the next ones due to computers being much much better.