Sony Handycam (CCD-TR3300)

[qanda]This thread is about the Sony Camcorder CCD-TRV 228. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]It’s actually a CCD-TR3300
If anyone has any advice to consistantly capture video from this, please tell me how. Every program I’ve tried, AVS, Showbiz DVD2, and Cyberlink all sporadically make a capture (usually without sound) or freeze up if I try to reset anything.
I’m using a KWorld DVD Maker usb device to connect the camera.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815100112 and composite cables.
Not sure if it’s the wrong choice of camera or what to try next.

Of course that link won’t work. It’s Newegg search for…usb2800

I don’t know what it is, but somehow asking a question helps. LOL
Anyway…Pinnacle Studio to the resque. Not perfect, but I can at last get captures with sound and editing!:cool:
Spent all that time dl-ing trial progran
ms and had this all along. duhhh

Special thanks to Sean for the assistance.:bow:

This is just crazy. Someone please tell me why a program works the 1st time, then nothing but problems. Is there some kind of memory cache that needs to be cleared in the program? Isn’t anyone capturing from a camcorder?

Wrong type of camera. It’ an old HI-8, not even a digital 8.
Most of us use MiniDV or HD. You could hook it up to a vcr and go from there.

Thanks pf. Was afraid of that. Should have put the $50 towards something newer. Live and learn. Having some luck with AVS, enough to keep me going for a while.

It’ an old HI-8, not even a digital 8.

It says “Digital Picture”, on the camera. Am I missing something?

On the view screen it may be digital, but on the tape is analog.

I have that same USB conglomeration and it is a 2 step process. I am using the output from a VCR into the USB dongle and using the cheesy PVR software that came with it. It works like a champ to create mpeg4 files with video and sound. It looks like there are a couple of CDs that come with that little monster. Did you try using the cheap software (not the Cyberlink stuff) to do the camera/USB capture?

From the resulting MP4 files you can use just about anything (like Pinnacle or Cyberlink) to make custom DVDs.

And Mr. Floyd is correct, the TR3300 is not a Digital Camera; it is a Hi8. You will have to use the 3 RCA connectors to transfer video and sound. I have the Sony TRV350. It is a Digital 8 and you can capture & control via 1394 (firewire). If you really want good quality DVDs the Sony DCR-HC52 gets you into a fireware link and is only $250. For another $50 to $100 you can get Pinnacle, Sonic/Roxio, Ashampoo, etc. software to do everything from control the camera, render the video and burn the DVD.

Of course, for $300, the Sony DCR-DVD650 records directly to DVD so when you’re done, you just take the DVD out and watch it.

Yeah, that’s funny. The only software that at least works half the time is AVS, $39. If I have to go through a VCR I’m tossing it. Just wanted better resolution than the video off my still camera. I’ve using it for FX in After Effects so firewire would be the way to go. Live and learn.
Thanks for the info.

I’m using the VCR to transfer a bunch of full size VHS tapes that were made with a huge old Panasonic Video Camera. Unfortunately, everything that I’ve run through that RCA to USB dongle is sub-par as far as video quality. Fortunately, the original tapes weren’t all that great to begin with so you really can’t tell the difference.

Those $300 Sony’s are worth every penny. The video and sound are just awesome and firewire linkage is da bomb. If my Sony went today, I’d buy one of their 60gb HDD cameras tomorrow for $400. 720x480 video (DVD quality), Dolby 2 channel stereo sound, 910 minutes recording at that setting, and USB transfer. Perfect.

Or maybe even their HD version (1920 x 1080) with 115 minutes on a 16gb memory stick for $600 (that’s what I paid for my current one).

[QUOTE=skoville;2214640]It’s actually a CCD-TR3300
If anyone has any advice to consistantly capture video from this, please tell me how. Every program I’ve tried, AVS, Showbiz DVD2, and Cyberlink all sporadically make a capture (usually without sound) or freeze up if I try to reset anything.
I’m using a KWorld DVD Maker usb device to connect the camera.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815100112 and composite cables.
[/QUOTE]

A couple of weeks ago, I used exactly the same USB card to convert analogue video ftom an old Sony Handycam analogue camcorder. It worked fine in my PC. I first downloaded the latest drivers from KWorld. Then, I installed huffyuv-2.1.1 codec. After that I installed Virtual VCR latest version. Free, simple and very light. Finally I made the settings from this guide in doom9.org, and the capturing (huffyuv avi) was finished (40 min) with no frame loss!!! :clap: At the expense of using about 600 MB / min of video!

As long the capturing ends successfully you can use any program you want to edit, encode and author to a DVD video disk.

updating the driver was the 2st thing I tried. It always says “installation failed”.

Well, at the moment, I see no way of installing the program. No exe, no msi. Maybe I’m too tired, or old to learn.
Opps. There it be. Would like to know why the driver won’t install, though. I’ll give it a shot anyway.

I’ll go through the instructions again. so far it frooze the program and 2nd try captured audio but no video. Maybe the device is bad.

[QUOTE=skoville;2219108]Well, at the moment, I see no way of installing the program. No exe, no msi. Maybe I’m too tired, or old to learn.
Opps. There it be. Would like to know why the driver won’t install, though. I’ll give it a shot anyway.[/QUOTE]

I guess this is the device you use:
http://us.kworld-global.com/main/prod_in.aspx?mnuid=1306&modid=10&pcid=73&ifid=17&prodid=104
If so, get the latest drivers here.
Unzip the file and inside you’ll see the setup.exe to perform the installation. For me, it worked, in windows xp pro sp3.

[QUOTE=skoville;2219147]I’ll go through the instructions again. so far it frooze the program and 2nd try captured audio but no video. Maybe the device is bad.[/QUOTE]

Usually there is a problem either with the connections or the settings. See the guide again, if you have the time.

In Virtual VCR do you see the video in the initial (preview) window, when you connect the VCR and press play on it? In which format do you try to make your capture? Try first with an uncompressed avi file. Huge in size, but just to check :wink:

I guess this is the device you use:
http://us.kworld-global.com/main/pro…=17&prodid=104
If so, get the latest drivers here.

Same thing here. This is what I get when installing the driver.
(Win XP Pro sp3)

n Virtual VCR do you see the video in the initial (preview) window, when you connect the VCR and press play on it? In which format do you try to make your capture? Try first with an uncompressed avi file. Huge in size, but just to check

For the first time, I got a preview. No recording, but the preview. Just leaving the settings where they where. (color format…going to try yuy…) YUY no video then lock up. I’ll go over the instructions again.

Try to uninstall all software you already installed with your card. Go also to Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager, right click on the USB card and select uninstall. Restart. After restart, plug the USB card on the PC. Normally you’ll get an New hardware found wizard. Press next and when asked about the driver, select the location “v5.8.0306.0.080306\Data\XP_x86” in the folder you uncompressed the drivers you downloaded. This is a “manual” installation and should work.

I don’t have the card here, so I cannot give you more details in the installation! You can also try to contact the Kwold support :wink:

For the first time, I got a preview. No recording, but the preview. Just leaving the settings where they where. (color format…going to try yuy…) YUY no video then lock up. I’ll go over the instructions again.

It could be a driver problem… ?? Try the above first… I hope that helps!

having a problem with the wizard letting me choose driver. It keeps installing on it’s own.

having a problem with the wizard letting me choose driver. It keeps installing on it’s own. When I get so far it says I2c device not detected. I think we’re on the right track with the driver thing, just can’t get it to install!!

Don’t let the wizard to automatically find the “best” drivers. Chose the location you have downloaded the latest drivers and point to the v5.8.0306.0.080306\Data\XP_x86 folder…

Alternatively, go Control Panel, System, Device Manager, right click on the USB card and select update drivers. Don’t let windows search or download from the internet. Instead point to the right folder as before.