Sony External Burner DRX-840U

vbimport

Please advise if you know who manufactured the drive for this unit (SONY DRX-840U).

Thank you very much!

Hi,

this is a Samsung SH-S202[B]H[/B] based drive (DRU-840A) in an external enclosure:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f105/sony-dru-840a-dru-840u-scans-discussion-227017/

Michael

I just called and spoke with a SONY tech support rep (based in India, I guess) and he swore up and down that SONY manufactured their own drives, including the one in my external DRX-840U. What gives?

Is there a way to physically inspect to find out the true manufacturer of the drive?

Many thanks in advance for your time.

Of course that’s what non-tech rep would say. They don’t want you to feel cheated. The last “real” Sony was the DRU-500A/510A, a 4x burner, IIRC. He obviously doesn’t know what’s inside the case. Only CDFreaks will give you the facts. Unless you want to break it out of the enclosure, that’s the only way to check.

[quote=delerue;2061909]I just called and spoke with a SONY tech support rep (based in India, I guess) and he swore up and down that SONY manufactured their own drives, including the one in my external DRX-840U. What gives?[/quote]He is just wrong. Sony’s contribution is the modified firmware and the logo on the front plate. That’s all.
They buy their drives from Liteon, Benq (when they still existed), NEC and Samsung and sell them under their own brand.

Is there a way to physically inspect to find out the true manufacturer of the drive?
Open up your drive and have a look at the circuit board. Of course, this will void any warranty.

You should really have a look into the Samsung DVD burner forum here at CDfreaks.com, especially into the thread I mentioned in my previous reply. There you will find pictures of the circuit board and also posts of users who successfully flashed Samsung SH-S202H firmware on this drive.