Sony DW-U21A w/ Apple FW AADB

Sirs:

Just baught new G5.  Can I crossflash drive to SOHW-1653S FW C09 but still keep Sony DW-U21A name?  Apple iLife software has limited compatible drive list.

Thanks

Sincerely,

SFJAH

Crossflashed drive with SOHW-1653S CS09 firmware that was tweaked with omnipatcher recommended tweaks. The drive name is now LiteOn SOHW-1653S. Used PatchBurn3 to make drive compatible with OSX 10.3.7 and everything is working very well. Thanks to codeguys.rpc1.org for their great tools and firmware.

Very happy camper who got around Apple’s limitations ( I don’t really know why, Steve? )

Thanks for everyones help. If I could have kept Sony DW-U21A name that would have been even a little more cool.

Sincerely,

SFJAH

Could you tell me how you did it? I’m really interested in uncapping m Sony DW-U21A…No one seems to have any information whatsoever…Thanks a bunch.

From what I understand… you have to take the drive out of the Mac, flash it to 1653S on a PC (probably using MtkFlash in DOS), put it back in the Mac, and then install PatchBurn for it to work with iLife. I’ve not done it yet, myself.

this is what my drive read on my G5

LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1653S:

Firmware Revision: CS0M
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Vendor Supported)
Profile Path: /Library/DiscRecording/DeviceProfiles/PatchBurn-liteondvdrwsohw1653s.drprofile
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW, +R DL
Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
Media: No

but it does not read any CD’s original or recorded :frowning:

please help

I’m using tiger 10.4.1 and black burn 4.0.0a3

you can change the drivenamestring with omnipatcher v2.