Sony DW-U18A anyone try it?

vbimport

I just purchesed the new Sony DW-U18A. supposedly OEM version of (Sony DRU-530A) was wondering if anyone has tried this drive out. It worked flawless for the five or so dvd’s I had made using fuji film 4x dvd-r’s and some gereric 2x dvd-r’s (dont know the brand my friend gave them to me)
I experimented with dvdshrink, dvdx copy platinum, nero6 and dvdclone. The interesting thing tho was that everything was working fine until I burnt a dvd using dvdclone 1x speed on the fuji film. It was taking much longer than normal to burn even at 1x so I knew something was up.
I ejected the dvd and I tested it out in my stand alone dvd player it didnt work. Popped it back in the drive to test it on the computer and as it was trying to read the disk I heard a horrible grinding sound so I ejected it and tried putting a standard dvd in the drive that it used to read no problem to see if it would do the same. and it sure did. to sum it all up the drive stopped reading/ writing after that last burn with dvdclone. I dont know if it was the software that messed it up or if the drive just had died. I even tested it in my other pc and it did the same.

If ayone has had simular issues please let me know…

Sorry for the long post
                                                       Teufel..

Actually, the Sony DW-U18A is a Liteon SOHW-812S!

Is it? I had no idea thanks for the info

Originally posted by dhc014
Actually, the Sony DW-U18A is a Liteon SOHW-812S!

Can you confirm this (proof ??) as i can buy a DW-U18A cheaper.
Any reasons why i should not buy this model if its same over a retail Liteon 812s package ??

Cheers

ArchV

yep dhc014 is right, the firmware clearly makes reference to the 812s, and the liteon rpc1 tool works on the drive. Also it burns disks at their rated speed, unlike real sony drives :stuck_out_tongue:

So since Sony’s DW-U18A is Liteon SOHW-812S does that mean Sony’s DRU-530A (Retail version of DW-U18A) is Liteon SOHW-812S as well? or is there differences?

I’m not positive, but i think the 530a is an optorite drive, but that’s only going from things i’ve read in various places

Originally posted by Teufel9038
So since Sony’s DW-U18A is Liteon SOHW-812S does that mean Sony’s DRU-530A (Retail version of DW-U18A) is Liteon SOHW-812S as well? or is there differences?

Sony DRU-530A is manufactured by Optorite. DRU-530A is not a retail version of DW-U18A, how do you get this idea? They are totally different.

Well because I accually ordered an OEM version of (DRU-530A)and they sent me a (DW-U18A) was I screwed?? here is the the product details from the site I ordered it from. http://www.diymicro.com/product.asp?pf_id=57-178-014

on price grabber they list it as the oem version of DRU-530A if you click on the oem versions that are listed http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=1594368/ut=42512592c1ece19a

DIYmicro is a SCCAM. What you get is NOT a Sony530A in any way shape or form .Its a is a DW-U18A drive they are trying to pass off as a DRU530A. Different hardware and different firmware than a DRU530A. Just try updated the firmware and it will tell you. They are false advertising and misleading customers by putting the word SONY 530A as the product name. They gave me an RMA and I have to pay for shipping. Also, it seems to burn only at 4X with any media. I will leave this feedback on ALL pricegrabber and pricewatch affiliates and suggest whomever else got scammed do the same.

Thats really bad news “lane87” total false advertising. I have been trying to send mine back and have been waiting for my RMA for like 4 days now. :frowning:

I purchased a DWU-18A just recently.

I’ve had tremendous difficulty to get it to burn on either + or - media at > 4x.

I previously had a Liteon 811S and was able to burn a consistent 8X on Imation 4x +R media. The Sony cannot exceed 4x.

On Verbatim - media, it can only reach 4x too.

Does anybody know what brands of media this unit can burn at 8X on?

Any help, greatly appreciated!

Teufel9038

I just wanted to remind you that this drive is realy a LiteOn 812S. It is mentioned several times elsewhere in this forum. I decided to keep it and flashed it with the LiteOn firmware and now I can burn 8X on both -r and +r media! (Ritek) Fantastic drive after all.

Originally posted by cablecartman
[B]I purchased a DWU-18A just recently.

I’ve had tremendous difficulty to get it to burn on either + or - media at > 4x.

I previously had a Liteon 811S and was able to burn a consistent 8X on Imation 4x +R media. The Sony cannot exceed 4x.

On Verbatim - media, it can only reach 4x too.

Does anybody know what brands of media this unit can burn at 8X on?

Any help, greatly appreciated! [/B]

I’m guessing that your Imation 4x was RICOHJPNR01 media? The 811S enabled overspeed burning on this media. LiteOn decided to play it safe and disabled overspeeding for this media type on subsequent drive models. You can easily re-enable overspeeding by making a minor tweak to the firmware. :wink: See the LiteOn forum (or my sig) for more info.

Speaking of LiteOn forum, shouldn’t this thread be moved there?

i have the liteon 812 its a very good drive.

also im not trying to toot these guys horn but its the only place i buy drives from www.newegg.com I usually get them in 3 days from ordering.

but was wondering how is the optowrite drive (aka sony 530A) my father in law has one?

Okay I am really pissed now…
I had the Sony DW-u18a and it stopped reading for me after like 10 burns or so … Returned that one then Purchased a Sony DRU-530a it seemd to stop working after like 10 burns or so as well. I thought I was just having bad luck… now I am on my second DRU-530a and it just stopped reading disks tonight !!! what is wrong! something must be up with my computer or something …

my system specs are,

CPU: p4, 2.4

memory:512 ddr

video card: ATI radeon 9800 pro

and I have only been using dvdshrink with nero 6 to burn dvd and nero 6 to burn cd’s…
dma is on
im so pissed right now I feel like taking this drive out and smashing it against the wall

Sony DW-U18A is a nightmare. I didn’t manage to write 1 DVD successfully yet. Already tried 3 different media types. Also changed to firmware to Lite On SOHW-812S. No success! Tried both DVD -R and +R. -R media failed with an INVALID BLOCK ADDRESS in nero 6 latest edition. Then I tried ePerformance DVD+R 4x media. I didn’t get the same error, but after 1 hour of writing the drive is still at 20%. Can anyone help pleaseeeeeee!!!

i also saw on kelkoo.it a shop selling u18 as oem version of the 530…
title is: “Sony - Masterizzatori dvd dw-u18a +/-r beige dvd±r 8x, ±rw 8x e cd r/rw ( versione oem del dru-530a)”
link: http://www.wireshop.it/prodotti/cd_2751/rf_1/Sony_DW-U18A_+-R_Beige_DVD

so, what is the truth?

The Sony 530a is a rebadged OptoRite DD0401 drive.
It also “looks” like Sony is using OptoRite again for their Retail 12x burner.

Indeed.

And it looks like this same Optorite confusion will take place with the 540A vs. U20A.