Sony DW-Q520A Master/Slave Utility

Hi All, Looking for Some help with my Sony DVDWriter, i need to set it to Slave to allow my toishiba to recognise the Drive (Tosh Sat Pro 4600), i have another laptop that does recognise it so can play with the firmware settings, i understand that the utility U2MS will do this but everytime i run it i get the following error,

ERROR:
0-0-0 E: SONY DVD RW DW-Q520A HYS2

Can’t found match ODD drive !

This utility ony supports slimtype ODD drive!

can anyone help me with this?

i have attached the firmware from the drive if this helps to resolve my issue.

Stephen.

SONY_DVD_RW_DW-Q520A_HYS.zip (755 Bytes)

have you tried this one? http://codeguys.rpc1.org/utilities/slim_master-slave.rar

Have you tried this one: :wink:
http://codeguys.rpc1.org/utilities/E2MS_WIN_DW-Q520A.rar

Please let me know if it works and I will release it on the utilities page. Thanks.

Thanks Codeking, i have tried the utility, it does run and looks as though the change has taken place but when the machine is rebooted the setting remain the same drive master, i have however found a solution as below.

inside the sat pro 4600 short pins 45 to 47 on the connector for the dvd drive (Solder Together - Very Fiddly), i am led to believe that this forces master drive mode and in my case this did work, drive is now recognised and working perfecdtly

Thanks for all your help.

Stephen.

HI
I too have a Tosh Sat and have been having the same issues with the master and slave set up.
I have been able to make the drive work in my laptop temporally by booting my computer through the bios set up each time.
Will it be possible to do the same as the previous poster to fix my problem, or am i doomed to a life of bios boots and no way of re-installing my OS?
If it is possible to do any chance of help - as i wouldnt have a clue where to start.
I will eternally grateful
Thanks
Ollie

OllieL, welcome to cdfreaks. :slight_smile:

Have you tried the tool in post #4?

Hi
Yeah last night I tried the utility that u suggested, but to no avail - when i reboot should the menu in the tool show the change? I still get the IDH 1 (i think ?) message at boot, with the drive no functional.
Is this my problem, or was i wrong with my diagnosis?
Any other suggestions please?
Many thanks
Ollie

OllieL, try this.

1/ Change the drive to the setting you want with the IDE changer tool.
2/ Read the EEPROM with the EEPROM Utility.
3/ Write the EEPROM with the EEPROM Utility.
4/ Reboot.

[B]Edit:[/B] Note this didn’t work for OllieL. See below.

Let me know if this works. If it does I will have to add the IDE Changing to the EEPROM Utility because the current tool probably doesn’t support the new EEPROM backup method.

Really sorry, but I dont know how to/ which EPROM to use.
Just worried i’ll use the wrong one and kill the drive completly
Thanks
Ollie

The EEPROM Utility is very easy to use. You will find it here:
http://codeguys.rpc1.org/utilities.html

Run the app, select the the drive and then use backup. It’s good to have this backup anyway. Then use the restore function to write back the same file. I’ve just looked at the Q520A firmware and this should cure your problem. The drives firmware is based on the 6S firmware,which must issue an EEPROM backup command or the changes will be lost after a reset.

Thanks Very Much
Will give it a go asap
Thanks
Ollie

Oh dear
Did what you just suggested - still get the error message, but now cannot solve this by booting through the bios
Have I killed it?

Send me the EEPROM file that you created. You will find my contact details on the contact page on my site.

sent

Looking at the file the drive should be set to Slave now. Can you not get the drive to show up in Windows at all now?

No not at all. whatever i do it still is not found and starts with the error message.
Only have one laptop, so dont have another to try it on.
Doh

kept trying, but to no avail
Any Suggestions, or shall i try and be sneaky and take the drive back to the shop, denying all knowledge
:frowning:

I can send you the EEPROM file back that will reverse the change made by the IDE changer tool but unless the drive can be detected it’s not going to be much help. I’m sorry I can’t understand at this time why the drive is not being detected, unless there is something really strange about the Master Slave select in your notebook. You can get a cheap adapter to allow slim drives to be connected to a normal IDE if you have a PC handy.

Yeah that would be good thanks - i could then re-set it and start again.
I was just wondering if that was possible, as i have previously bought a caddy to set up an external dvd-rw for my brother.
Do you know where are they available from?
Thanks for all the help you have given me. All very much appreciated
Ollie