Sony DW-Q30A / LiteON SHW-1635S DVD-R problems

vbimport

Hi. I’ve had this drive for a while and really like it, never any problems, but I always used DVD+R media. The other day there was a 50-spindle of HP DVD-R media for sale REALLY cheap at Staples so I grabbed it, knowing I had a +/- capable drive.

Or so I thought.

After hours of searching through these and other forums, updating Nero to 7.2.0.3, flashing to the latest official Sony firmware (YYS6) then when that didn’t work crossflashing to the SHW-1635S’s YS0Y firmware without any luck I’m forced to ask here. Is there something wrong with my drive? Do you think it’s Nero? (I have nothing else to test with, so I guess it could be, but I’ve never had problems before.) What else might it be?

Any and all responses/consideration are appreciated.

Also of note: DISCInfo and Nero InfoTool both show the drive to be DVD-R capable, but Nero refuses to burn to DVD-R, giving me the “This disc is not writeable, please insert a writeable disc” error.

Looking in Nero InfoTool at the “Disc” tab with a brand-new, unwritten disc in the drive shows capacity as 0 MB, blank capacity n/a, and Disc status as “Closed, finalized.” What’s going on? I’m about to start pulling my hair out here…

EDIT: Downloaded CDBurner XP Pro 3, used its Disc Info menu, got the same deal: Last Session: Empty Session, Disc Status: Disc is Closed. Any ideas?

-silentcircuit

Also tested the YV6J firmware available on the firmware testing thread. Same results. Discs appear closed with no data written to them, brand new off the spindle. The drive doesn’t recognize them as writeable.

My Toshiba SD-R6472 (a reflashed TSSTcorp TS-L532A) reports the media is blank and burns without issue.

A side note: The crossflash on this drive – TSSTcorp TS-L532A to Toshiba SD-R6472 – REALLY improved read and write quality/reliability and got rid of the occasional “hitching” at 50% it was prone to. It went from something I despised to something I prefer to a lot of drives.

Back on topic: Is my Sony/Liteon defective? I’m -way- past RMA period here, so I guess I’ll just be buying a new one and eating the extra cost if that’s the case.

The discs burned by the Toshiba read great in the Sony/LiteON, too. I’m really confused.

try some other -R media to see if the problem persist.

Provide more details like media code/dye which you can check with “smartburn” or “Nero CD-DVD speed>Disc Info” & your nero log.

Hope someone will be able to help you!!

There’s no way I’m buying more -R’s unless this gets sorted. It’s throwing money away. They’re showing up as closed in the Sony and perfectly fine in my Toshiba.

…and then I started up Nero CD-DVD Speed with one of these discs in the drive and went to disc info. Against all logic, despite the fact that they hadn’t shown up before, this one showed up blank. I’m writing it now at 16X. Hopefully this will keep working like this and it isn’t a one-time glitch.

Discs are Hewlett Packard-branded 16X writeable DVD-R’s in a 50 spindle.

Nero CD-DVD Speed: Disc Info
Basic Information
Disc type: : DVD-R
Book Type : DVD-R
Manufacturer: : CMC
MID : CMC MAG. AM3
Write speeds: : 2 X - 4 X - 6 X - 8 X - 12 X - 16 X
Blank Capacity : 4.38 GB
: 4488 MB
: 4706076672 bytes
Extended Information
Layers : 1
Usage : General
Copyright protection : n/a
Recorder information
Disc Status : Empty

It appears to be working fine now. Not entirely sure what changed, but I’m not complaining.

Final working config is:
Sony DW-Q30A crossflashed with FlashFix1112/UPX.exe to Lite-ON SHW-1635S with TESTING/BETA firmware YV6J.

Hope that proves helpful if anyone else is having problems, but really I hope it was just me and everything’s cool. Night.

-silentcircuit

Another thought: to anyone crossflashing the drive, back up the EEPROM before-hand, then reset “Learned Media” and “HyperTuning” after the crossflash. I’m not completely certain, but this may have been what fixed my unrecognized DVD-R blank issue, as little sense as it appears to make.

-silentcircuit