Sony DW-Q30A ?= LiteOn 1635s

As far as I could understand, Sony’s DW-Q30A device is a LiteOn 1635s with Sony on the front panel and identification info.

If it is really so, can I be sure that it can do all sorts of things LiteOn drive can do (especially PI/PO analyzing), and has the same write quality? And will I be able to upload LiteOn’s firmware to it (in case it gets updated faster than one from Sony)?

Yes, I know these are quite newbish questions :rolleyes: , thank you.

P.S. And as to PI/PO analyzing - is there any list of LiteOn models which can do that sort of thing, or I can assume any of them (more or less recent ones) can?

Thread moved from the Lite-On Standalone forum, since both the Sony DW-Q30A and Lite-On 1635s drives are PC drives, not something like a VCR that connects to the TV for recording broadcasts. :wink:

Correct.

If it is really so, can I be sure that it can do all sorts of things LiteOn drive can do (especially PI/PO analyzing), and has the same write quality? And will I be able to upload LiteOn’s firmware to it (in case it gets updated faster than one from Sony)?

All of these are also correct. Since Sony doesn’t really have much of an official release for the bulk/OEM DW series of drives (just any of its DRU counterparts, and there isn’t a DRU series drive based upon the 163S), this page seems to be good for finding the updated firmwares (should you want to go back to Sony firmware). Lite-On firmwares for the drive can be found on the CodeGuys website here

P.S. And as to PI/PO analyzing - is there any list of LiteOn models which can do that sort of thing, or I can assume any of them (more or less recent ones) can?

All LiteOn DVD burners can do this, as well as its combo drives, DVD-ROM drives, and CD burners. As long as the drive is made BY LiteOn, which covers all LDW-__1S, SOHW-2S, SOHW-1__3S, SH-16___5S, and SH-16____6S DVD drives (for example), the drive supports PI/PO checking.

To do the checking, use KProbe (specifically for LiteOn drives) or Nero CD DVD Speed.

Hi i’m new here,
I was wondering the same thing.

I just recently bought this DVD drive:

I changed the firmware to the Lite-one 1635s one that you said, but I wanted to change it back to the sony one, when I run it it says it is not compatible. Is there any way to change it back to the sony one?

Here is a file that might help. I am not 100% sure that it follows the same naming rule; however, based on the DW-D22A, it will most likely work. It is YS0W rebadged as YYS4 (meaning you can at least flash to a firmware newer than YYS4), and the drive ID will be SONY DVD RW DW-Q30A. If you apply this, then attempt to apply an updated Sony firmeware from the other page, and the firmware fails, please post a screenshot of the error that comes up. Also, to make this issue less hasslesome in the future (and to make reverting a an earlier firmware much easier) back up your current firmware using LtnFw . The YS0W YYS4 rebadge is here. note: due to Yahoo being used to host the file, when downloaded using Internet Explorer and some other download managers, the file will have an extension of .exe[1]. To use the file, simply remove the [1] part, leaving the ending at simply .exe, and apply the firmware as usual. I apologize for this inconvienence The filesize should be ~2.93 MB when fully downloaded.