Sony DW-G120A or DRU-820A

Hey

Theres a problem with my CD WRITER as well as i want to buy a DVD writer.

Firstly, i will tell you regarding my problem,

I have a Samsung CD Writer Model SH-R522C , i bought it on Jan. this month, i have burned around 30 CDs not much, recently i was burning a VCD, 1st CD i have written smoothly, than when i put another cd for writing, it doesnt detects my cd,so i have put another Blank CD and still , writer doesnt detects it, so i have put the cd which i have already written, it doesnt detects it either, actually it doesnt detects any cds. I have checked my IDE cable, i have done every possible things but still its not detecting any cds. Please tell me a solution to this problem.

I live in Mumbai. Also help me in locating a service center, near Malad (Mumbai) , so if there isnt any solution i will give the writer to the service center and get it repaired.

Secondly,

I wanted to buy a DVD writer, after searching in the threads, i have found that LiteOn SHM-165P6S and Benq 1670 a good writer, here in my place, i am unable to find a dealer to sell a Benq or LiteOn products. I am getting a Sony DW-G120A (clone of Liteon) and Sony DRU-820A (clone of Benq). If any member can help me where i can find a Benq or Liteon shop in Mumbai and also is the service center available in Mumbai for Benq and Liteon than its well and good.

Tell me a difference between G120A and 820A , what is the exact difference in these writers, because price wise theres a big difference. What is the best price i can get of these writers in Mumbai.

In my place, i am getting G120A(OEM) for Rs. 2000 and 820A(Box Packed) for Rs. 2400. So, theres a difference of 400 bucks, so is there any difference in the feature or function in both these writers.

Also tell me that is there any difference in features comparing Sony G120A with LiteOn SHM- 165P6S and also is there any difference in features comparing Sony 820A with Benq 1670.

If you think theres a better writter than the above, please recommend.

Thanx in advance

Hi,

There is only one solution: RMA.

Tell me a difference between G120A and 820A , what is the exact difference in these writers, because price wise theres a big difference.
As there are reviews on cdfreaks.com about each of those drives, read them and choose the one that fits your needs best.

Also tell me that is there any difference in features comparing Sony G120A with LiteOn SHM- 165P6S
They are the same hardware. The difference is the firmware. Liteon firmware offers some more tweaking options. Sony firmware limits read and write speed of CD-R to 40x unless you press the eject-button for a couple of seconds. This is a feature.
Both drives are only average CD writers unless Sony MYS3 or MYS3 firmware is installed.
You can flash Liteon firmware on the Sony drive (and vice versa), but that will void warranty.

and also is there any difference in features comparing Sony 820A with Benq 1670.
check if there are any reviews of both drives. Check also the contributions in the Benq section.

If you think theres a better writter than the above, please recommend.
It depends on your needs. Benq 1650 are very good writers, but they are lacking DVD-RAM capability. If you need that, you may also have a look at Pioneer 111.

Michael

Hey thanx for your reply.

There is only one solution: RMA.

What is RMA

Technically what is the major difference in G120A and 820A.

You said that Benq 1650 is a good writer if i dont need DVD RAM. But i dont know what is DVD RAM, please explain me what this feature is used for.

I live in India, if i want to go for Benq 1650, its rarely available, i have heard that some other company is using the same Benq 1650 writer with their companys face plate, can you tell me which one is that.

As i told u i live in India. And here pioneer is not available. Any writer which you will recommend in companies like Samsung, Sony, LG, Liteon.

I have both a Sony DWQ120 and a Benq 1650 (see my sig). They ar both very good drive. The sony is more quiet than the Benq (although it is also noiseless).
-RMA means: “use you waranty”.
-DVDRAM is a type of media which can be use just like your hard drive (you can write and erase just like on your hard drive)
-The rebadged Benq 1650 that I know are: Philips 1660, Sony 810 (some are 1640 some are 1650), and probably others …

Between that two, I will get the the first one. If you can get Sony DRU-810A, then it’s a close race.

hey thanx for the replies:)

bichonn

I have both a Sony DWQ120 and a Benq 1650 (see my sig). They ar both very good drive. The sony is more quiet than the Benq (although it is also noiseless).
-RMA means: “use you waranty”.
-DVDRAM is a type of media which can be use just like your hard drive (you can write and erase just like on your hard drive)
-The rebadged Benq 1650 that I know are: Philips 1660, Sony 810 (some are 1640 some are 1650), and probably others …

Regarding DVD RAM, you said its just like HDD, does DVD WRITER WITH DVD RAM has inbuilt memory, i mean , still i didnt understood , what you said, because if i am using a DVD writer which is not having DVD RAM , than still i can use a DVD Rewritable and rewrite and erase discs.

Do you think Sony is good, or Benq, If sony than which model and if Benq than which model. :slight_smile:

In your sig you are showing so many models, r u owning them all, than its great :slight_smile:

zevia

Between that two, I will get the the first one. If you can get Sony DRU-810A, then it’s a close race.

But Sony DRU-810A is an old model to 820A, do you think that DRU-810A is better than 820A. Thanx for the reply:)

Look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-RAM

because if i am using a DVD writer which is not having DVD RAM , than still i can use a DVD Rewritable and rewrite and erase discs.
DVD-RAM is totally different to rewritable DVD media. And it is more reliable.
But if you don’t know what DVD-RAM is, then you don’t need it :bigsmile:

Do you think Sony is good, or Benq, If sony than which model and if Benq than which model. :slight_smile:
Well, Sony only rebrands drives from other manufacturers, like Liteon or Benq.

But Sony DRU-810A is an old model to 820A
It is not old, it is different.
do you think that DRU-810A is better than 820A.
That’s what many experienced users think. As DRU-810 is either a rebadged Benq 1640 or 1650 (depending on the release), and both Benqs are very good drives.

Michael

Look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-RAM
DVD-RAM is totally different to rewritable DVD media. And it is more reliable.
But if you don’t know what DVD-RAM is, then you don’t need it :bigsmile:

After reading about DVD RAM, i have found that its a different type of media which is less available in the market. Its reliable and if i want a DVD RAM integrated writer, i want to know whether the DVD RAM media is available in the market or not and what is the price of DVD RAM media.

Well, Sony only rebrands drives from other manufacturers, like Liteon or Benq.

Does it means that sony hides or write protect some functions ,which the orignal company provides.

It is not old, it is different.That’s what many experienced users think. As DRU-810 is either a rebadged Benq 1640 or 1650 (depending on the release), and both Benqs are very good drives.

Sony 820A is Benq 1670 , am i right, please recommend me a writer, i am not saying that Benq is bad, after reading about benq, i feel that benq the best DVD writer, i am going with sony only because benq is rarely available in india. But if you want to recommend me a Benq model than which should i go for, whatever model you are suggesting, is it been rebadged by any company.

Please recommend me a sony and liteon model too.

HI,

As I do not have any knowledge about the market in your country, there is nothing left but to investigate for yourself.
Here in Germany, a 3x DVD-RAM disc has about twice the price of a quality 4x DVD+RW. But you don’t need much discs, as you would use them only for special purpose (regular backup of personal data, that change often like E-Mails or documents). For other data like video, software or music, normal DVD+R or DVD-R are better.

Does it means that sony hides or write protect some functions ,which the orignal company provides.
No. They have another philosophy about the features, a drive should have. That’s all.

Sony 820A is Benq 1670 , am i right, please recommend me a writer,
Sony 810 was already recommended. DW-G120A isn’t that bad either, but it’s CD writing quality is not brilliant (exception: MY*3 firmwares).

Michael

HI,As I do not have any knowledge about the market in your country, there is nothing left but to investigate for yourself.
Here in Germany, a 3x DVD-RAM disc has about twice the price of a quality 4x DVD+RW. But you don’t need much discs, as you would use them only for special purpose (regular backup of personal data, that change often like E-Mails or documents). For other data like video, software or music, normal DVD+R or DVD-R are better.

Ok, i have called some shops at my place, DVD-RAM disc is available for around 3 USD.

No. They have another philosophy about the features, a drive should have. That’s all.

I am not getting what u said, what other philosophy u talking about.

Sony 810 was already recommended. DW-G120A isn’t that bad either, but it’s CD writing quality is not brilliant (exception: MY*3 firmwares).

wat is MY3 firmwares. do u mean with MY3 i can get a good CD writing quality.

Thanx for the reply.

I have called a dealer at my place , he said that only BENQ 1650 is available at his place, should i buy it. Is it capable of reading every media type, is the CD and DVD writing quality good in it. I am getting it at 42 USD. Should i buy it.

Hi,

Benq DW 1650 is a very good drive. 42 USD (that is 33 EUR) is a good price. Here in Germany, I’d have to pay about 40 Eur for that.

Go for it.

Michael