Sony DW-D22A is DEAD! Help me find a new DVD

vbimport

Ok - So thru the help of the group - I have confirmed that my Sony DW-D22A is in fact DEAD! I unplugged the IDE cable, left the power in and can hear it TRY to open the tray when I push the button…

So - here is what I do with the burner…

DVD Home Movies (mostly from a MiniDV camera and now a HD-DVD Canon Camera). I also make backups of movies and use the burner for Data Backups of photos and documents.

I have been using TDK Media DVD-R with good luck (when the drive was working…) but am open to changing at this point.

I have the following Criteria…

Must fit in my Sony Vaio Desktop (Black Bezel).

Other than that - I am open… I do have a few questions…

• Should I get a SATA vs. IDE Drive?
  • Is there such a thng has an HD-DVD burner that is “reasonably” priced - ie not $500…

Thank you again …

Alex

Hi,

Stick with PATA (IDE). There is no advantage with SATA drives, apart from the thinner cables. But there are often compatibility issues.

• Is there such a thng has an HD-DVD burner that is “reasonably” priced - ie not $500…
    No. Not yet. Just wait a couple of years :wink:

Michael

Any recommendations on an IDE that fits the requirements above?

Blu-ray recordable discs are more stable than HD-DVD recordables anyway (BD-R stores data in an anorganic material, IIRC).

An allrounder drive would be LiteOn (18/20)A1(P/H).
There are also other drives like Samsung 18xx, Pioneer 112, LG x2N/L around… depends on what you want to do.

Need quality scans? LiteOn, Plextor, maybe Samsung…
Best burning quality? Pioneer, LG…
Learning mode? LiteOn, Plextor…
Bitsetting for DVD movie burning? LiteOn, LG, Samsung…
:slight_smile:

I am seeing LiteOn repeated several times…

Will the LH-20A1P drop into my Vaio and replace the Sony directly?

Thanks!

Alex