SONY DVP-CX995V firmware update problem

RECENTLY DID A SONY FIRMWARE UPDATE AND NOW THE UNIT WILL NOT POWER UP COMPLETELY. THE SONY DVD LOGO APPEARS IN THE WINDOW FOR 5 SECONDS AND THEN TURNS OFF??? AS U CAN TELL FROM MY BOLD TYPING THAT I AM FRUSTRATED WITH SONY!!! i DOWNLOADED THE SERVICE MANUAL BUT THAT IONLY HAS A DIAG PROGRAM TO RUN BUT THAT WILL NOT ACTIVATE. SEEMA AS IF THE POWER DRIVER OR SIMILAR IS FRIED??? ALL FROM A FIRMWARE UPDATE??? HOW CAN I RESET THE UNIT?? i HAVE A KEYBOEARD PLUGGED IN BUT DON’T KNOW ANY OF THE REBOOT SHORTCUTS IF THEIR IS ANY? THE INTERNALS ARE LAID OUT LIKE A COMPUTER MOTHERBOARD EXCEPT THEIR IS 3 BOARDS LINKED TOGETHER, MOTHERBOARD,AUDIO BOARD AND VIDEO BOARD. CHECKED INTERNAL FUSE AND APPEARS TO B OK. HELLLLLLP!!!

I had the same syptom but not due to a firmware update. If the unit does not see the door switch (the door where the disks are inserted) it will power off after a few seconds. Under the door there is an adjustment for the door switch. It’s about an inch back from the front face of the unit and - this is tricky - it’s behind a small plastic cover. If you push with your finger you will feel a soft spot and will see the edges of plastic. The plastic piece is about a quarter inch high and less than an inch long. After removing the plastic cover you’ll see the adjustment screw. Loosen the screw a little bit and you’ll be able to slide the screw (which is attached to the switch). You won’t see the switch, but sliding the screw left or right (it’s in an oblong hole) will adjust the switch position. Change the position until the unit powers up and stays on.

[QUOTE=mrweybs;2493848]I had the same syptom but not due to a firmware update. If the unit does not see the door switch (the door where the disks are inserted) it will power off after a few seconds. Under the door there is an adjustment for the door switch. It’s about an inch back from the front face of the unit and - this is tricky - it’s behind a small plastic cover. If you push with your finger you will feel a soft spot and will see the edges of plastic. The plastic piece is about a quarter inch high and less than an inch long. After removing the plastic cover you’ll see the adjustment screw. Loosen the screw a little bit and you’ll be able to slide the screw (which is attached to the switch). You won’t see the switch, but sliding the screw left or right (it’s in an oblong hole) will adjust the switch position. Change the position until the unit powers up and stays on.[/QUOTE]

I read elsewhere that this is not the correct item for the door, but that it is for the “pop-up” for loading the disks.

Looking inside the door of my Sony DVP-CX995V, I can’t find any such thing in that location near the door. The only thing I can find is a sensor about 4 inches in on the left side. It appears to be a short vertically installed circuit board, facing the disk tray side. It has what appears to be an optical sensor pointed at the disk side of the tray. On the bottom side edge, closest to the door, it has a very small tab or lever, just over an inch long. It can be moved in towards the disk tray or out towards the case. It only moves less than an inch. It was set in the middle. It doesn’t make a difference which way I move it or position I try it in.

The unit worked fine till I tried to “update” it. It started to read the disk, displayed updating on the device window, and my TV. Then the TV picture pixelated, became garbled and dropped the HDMI connection. I let the DVP player wait, and wait, and wait over night, but it never came back on. I tried unplugging it, for 3 hours, then press STOP, EJECT and POWER at the same time to reset it, but nothing works.

It still come on for about 5 - 8 seconds. It displays Sony DVP, then WAITING, then shuts off.

Any other suggestions?

Thank You

[QUOTE=mbbreinig;2304307]RECENTLY DID A SONY FIRMWARE UPDATE AND NOW THE UNIT WILL NOT POWER UP COMPLETELY. THE SONY DVD LOGO APPEARS IN THE WINDOW FOR 5 SECONDS AND THEN TURNS OFF??? AS U CAN TELL FROM MY BOLD TYPING THAT I AM FRUSTRATED WITH SONY!!! i DOWNLOADED THE SERVICE MANUAL BUT THAT IONLY HAS A DIAG PROGRAM TO RUN BUT THAT WILL NOT ACTIVATE. SEEMA AS IF THE POWER DRIVER OR SIMILAR IS FRIED??? ALL FROM A FIRMWARE UPDATE??? HOW CAN I RESET THE UNIT?? i HAVE A KEYBOEARD PLUGGED IN BUT DON’T KNOW ANY OF THE REBOOT SHORTCUTS IF THEIR IS ANY? THE INTERNALS ARE LAID OUT LIKE A COMPUTER MOTHERBOARD EXCEPT THEIR IS 3 BOARDS LINKED TOGETHER, MOTHERBOARD,AUDIO BOARD AND VIDEO BOARD. CHECKED INTERNAL FUSE AND APPEARS TO B OK. HELLLLLLP!!![/QUOTE]

I have the same issue following my attempt to update the firmware by CD.

I tried the suggestion found here by the next poster, about a screw inside the door, but I can’t find that in my machine. I did find a different sensor about 4 inches inside the door on the left side. Adjusting it makes no difference.

It has been some time since you posted, wondered if you found a solution.

Thank You