SONY DVD±RW media read failures (Optiarc AD-7201A)

[qanda]This thread is about the Optiarc AD-7201A. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]SONY Optiarc units AD-7201A, AD-7191A & SONY DRU840A & DRU830A all demonstrating the same issue. None recognize DVD-R, DVD-RW, & CD-R. Brand of media does not influence the recognition - I have tried SONY, Imation, Maxell, Fuji, Verbatim, & any other that I can get my hands on. Software used: Different versions of ROXIO, SONIC, & NERO. All systems have WINxp SP3, different versions of Symantec AV, McAffee, & AVG installed. Most of the systems are DELL XPS, Optiplex, & Dimension Minitower & Laptop units with SONY DVD±RW units. I have contacted SONY & SONY OPTIARC & they can’t duplicate the issue - hmmm, I think they are mystified. I contacted Microsoft but have not had any response, no surprise on that either. Has anyone experienced this & if you have, have you found a resolution? I sure could use the help because I have spent countless hours of research to see others have similar issues, but I haven’t seen any resolutions. Everyone in my customer base having these units is expereincing the same issue.

techienwpa,

Since “Everyone in my customer base” it looks like the key is in the series of drives you have supplied or common software you have installed to all that systems.

Guys write that Alchohol or Daemon Tools may block media type recognition but I don’t know if this bloking is valid for “-” media type.

To divide your problem between soft- and hard- you may try the following (we assume that media is good :-).

1. Have media that is not recognized in your system and find standalone (foreign, not made or bought by you) system where it is recognized properly. And where you will be able to remove DVD drive for test. It will be better to find the same DVD model :-). Disable any DVD emulation just in case ones block “-” media at SONY type.

2. Swap drives (only drives) of both PC systems and test media.

Results may be:
00) Wost case: both new assembles do not recognize media :-).
Then your software|hard system and also your drive are wrong.

1x) If your drive works in foreign system then key is in your software|hard(hardware compatibility with SONY drive if foreign drive works good in your PC).

1. If your drive does not work even at foreign system (and another drive works at yours) … than looks like nothing new :-). But your system without drive seems OK.

– try to rewrite original firmware to one desktop drive but do it at clean foreign system. The only reason - viruse which is able to block “-” media types in SONY NEC Optiarc devices by correcting firmware to promote “+” ones.
Sounds fun, but who know :slight_smile:
Or simply verify the firmware.

===========
I finally selected AD-7201A to buy tomorrow and spent 2 nights. This your post is the first and the last I read when decision already was made :-))))