Sony DVD RW DW-Q28A reading/writing DVDs but not regular CDs

[qanda]This thread is about the Sony DW-Q28A. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]hello,

I’m running XP Pro, SP3, 512GB RAM, AMD Athlon 64 Processor.

Lately, i’ve been facing a peculiar probs with my (OEM) Sony DVD RW DW-Q28A writer. The issue i’m facing is the DVD writer doesnt recognise any CD’s(new/old CD, CDRW, A/VCD…) anything. I’m not able to burn or write any cds basically. But it works fine with reading/burning DVDs without any hassle. Anything I insert into the drive is blank and when I check “My Computer”, Right Click or try to explore the CD Drive (DVD-RW), then it opens window and displays “Zero Objects”. I tried burning CDs using the Sonic RecordNow DX 4.62 which came along the OEM pack. No luck either. I used to be able to burn CDs using the XP OS which was default i think as I hardly used Sonic for CD writing.

I was not having this problem earlier, probably I realised that after SP3 upgrade this might have started, though i’m not sure. So what I did was
first REVERTED back to SP2, and tried to burn cd’s unsuccesfully. So I uninstalled Sony DVDRWDW-Q28A from Device Manager/DVD-CDROM drives and restarted and reinstalled the drivers automatically by the system. yet it didnt work. So I reinstalled SP3 and living with the issue.

Is it true that the DVD-RW has 2 lenses, 1 each for VCD and DVD? Pardon my ignorance, as I read somewhere while surfing the issue on hand.

I also noticed that in the Sony writer Properties/Volumes tab, list is blank. Is it normal ? When I click Populate then it shows some content, when I exit the Properties and revisit the Volumes tab again it is blank. Is this normal?

I also tried to “Update driver” wizard and it prompted me to connect to windows update site, so I said OK, and it returned the results that there is no better driver than the current one.

I’d be more than happy to furnish any other info. if needed.

Did anyone else face such a issue and would any good samaritan be generous to bail me out of this issue?

Sai