Sony DVD RW DRU-V200A

I have a Sony DVD RW DRU-V200A, my operating system is Windows XP. The device will read discs, but the system only recognizes that it is a reader. It is a dual layer writer, yet even in with nero 8 (which it came with) and nero 6 (which worked with my old system) they don’t recognize it either and the only recorder I can select is to an image. At first I though it was nero, but windows won’t acknowledge its writing capabilities either. At one point nero 6 allowed me to select it in the recorder menu, but then would not allow me to click the burn button (greyed out as if not available for writing).

The drive has a jumper on the back that must be set correctly. There are three positions, Master, Slave and Cable Select. The jumper must match how you have set up the drive…if you have it connected to the very end of the ide cable the jumper should be set on Master or Cable Select. If it is in the middle connector, it should be Slave or Cable Select.

Modern drives also require an 80 wire IDE cable, not the older style 40 wire cables.

Assuming you have those parts done correctly, check in Device Manager and see if there are any problems associated with the drive.

You might also check DMA status of the drive. Look in my signature for Womble’s guide to checking DMA. The most important part to look for is Current Transfer status. It should be Ultra DMA 2 or 4.

Next step would be to delete the drive in Device Manager and let Windows find the “new” hardware on a reboot. If that doesn’t help, delete the IDE controller that the drive is on (Not if it is the same IDE controller that your hard drive containing your operating system is on) and reboot. Windows will find the hardware again and reinstall.

If all else fails, try another burning program and see if it will recognize the drive properly. Try ImgBurn, which is free to download and use. www.imgburn.com

It must have been set to slave, I thought it had been set properly when installed. Thanks!