Sony dvd-rw dru-700a problems

hi, alright, so my problem is that my dvd burner does not seem to recognize any sort of blank dvd i put in there. I’ve tried several different brands of cds, currently im using Sony’s dvd-r. I even have the latest firmware. When i first got it, it was on my dads computer and it was functioning, now i put it on my computer and it doesnt work. I tried putting it back to my dads computer, and the same problem occurs. However, i can burn on cd-rs and such. WHen i put in the dvd-r nothing happens, it starts to read the disc but nothign pops up, the burning programs i use dont recognize and jsut tell me to insert a blank dvd in the drive.

i ran nero info

ero InfoTool 3.01

Drive Information

Drive : SONY DVD RW DRU-700A
Type : DVD±R/RW DL Recorder
Firmware Version : VY08
Buffer Size : 2 MB
Date : ?
Serial Number : 2004042800024549
Vendor Specific : Nov17 ,2004
Drive Letter : F:
Mechanism : Tray
Read Speed : 40 X
Write Speed : 40 X

Read CD Text : Yes
Return C2 Pointers : Yes
Read CD-R : Yes
Read CD-RW : Yes
Read DVD-ROM : Yes
Read DVD-RAM : No
Read DVD-R : Yes
Read DVD-RW : Yes
Read DVD+R : Yes
Read DVD+RW : Yes
Read DVD+R DL : Yes
Read BD-ROM : No
Read BD-R : No
Read BD-RE : No
Read Digital Audio : Yes
Read CD+G : Yes
Read VideoCD : Yes

Write CD-R : Yes
Write CD-RW : Yes
Write DVD-R : Yes
Write DVD-RW : Yes
Write DVD-R DL : No
Write DVD+R : Yes
Write DVD+RW : Yes
Write DVD+R DL : Yes
Write DVD-RAM : No
Write BD-R : No
Write BD-RE : No
Buffer Underrun Protection : Yes
Mount Rainier : No
Modes : Packet, TAO, DAO, SAO, RAW SAO, RAW SAO 16, RAW SAO 96, RAW DAO 16, RAW DAO 96

Region Protection Control : RPC II
Region : None
Changes User : 5
Changes Vendor : 4

hopefully this will help. Thanks to anyone that can contribute.

btw, i just tried running nero info with a dvd-r and that doesnt even recognize the dvd-r.

Welcome to cdfreaks :slight_smile:

Sounds a bit like the drive has developed a fault. Unfortunately this is not an uncommon problem for Liteon/Sony drives. If you have tried it in two systems and have the latest firmware, then there is not much else I can suggest, sorry…

Is DVD+R the same?

hmmm, could i somehow reset the driver back to its factory settings and such?

No, there’s nothing that would make it detect blank media better.

rawrrrr how frustrating

alright so i still somewhat hopeful and decided to downgrade the firmware from the 8 to the vy02 and after doing that my dvd burner was able to recognize the dvd-r’s i put in there. However now it doesnt burn on them; but when i put in the dvd-r, the little windows thing pops up asking what i want to do with them, alcohol 120 recognizes that theres a disc in there but it just doesnt burn. Any solution? is there still hope? lol

alright so i still somewhat hopeful and decided to downgrade the firmware from the 8 to the vy02 and after doing that my dvd burner was able to recognize the dvd-r’s i put in there. However now it doesnt burn on them; but when i put in the dvd-r, the little windows thing pops up asking what i want to do with them, alcohol 120 recognizes that theres a disc in there but it just doesnt burn. Any solution? is there still hope? lol

monkiboi88, crossposting (posting the same thing twice) is against our rules. Please read our forum rules before posting further.

Your other thread has been deleted

sorry i wont do it again.

but the reason was because i think i may have found a solution so i was wondering if you guys could help me if you refer to the last reply of mine.

See if Nero CD-DVD Speed (create data disc) will write to the disc.