Sony dvd/rw "Disappears" after clone drive installation

vbimport

Hi,
I am new member. My son loaded clone drive on my computer and it installed itself as Drive E: My sond dvd/rw on Drive E duisappeared and i cant get it back. Can anyone help please

You may have to delete the upper and lower filters. http://pcsupport.about.com/od/driverssupport/ht/upperfilters-lowerfilters.htm

You could also try Microsoft’s Fix It tool for optical drives. There is a link in my signature for that.

Does the optical drive still show up in Device Manager?

No the whole class of dvd/cd drives disappeared when i deleted clone drive. This was installed by my son (without permission) and it used device E: (as D: is a spare disk for backups etc) . Now i have no E: I found the thing about lower & upper filters and deleted them . Will try again ! Not sure how i access link to your signature burt will try to find that

I don’t know if this will fix the problem.
Install the clone drive again . This time Uninstall it instead of deleting it.

The link in my signature says[B] Microsoft support for optical drives[/B].

Here is the link in another form: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us

You can also go back to a restore point prior to the installation of the clone drive and see if that helps.

… and don’t give other users Admin access to your computer.

Michael

Hi,
Was installing an SSD which is now the boot drive so this problem is left on the old drive which i hopefully will not have to use again,

ken

As long as one can get physical access to a PC and the disk is not encrypted, you can usually also gain administrative rights somehow.

Thanks but got round problem so its fixed now

[QUOTE=Liggy;2603015]As long as one can get physical access to a PC and the disk is not encrypted, you can usually also gain administrative rights somehow.[/QUOTE]So you’d give all users of a family PC admin permissions? :eek:

:disagree: Michael

No Michael i wouldnt but only have one user. He is in University in Glasgow so he is not home often

Ken

[QUOTE=mciahel;2603074]So you’d give all users of a family PC admin permissions? :eek:[/QUOTE]
On my PC (Win 7) I only have my own user with admin permissions, UAC turned off and auto-login enabled. I also have a user for my wife without admin permissions, but that one is mainly used for printing via network.

My wife doesn’t have admin-rights on her own PC but that’s because she wanted it that way - if required she has her own admin-user and I’ve got admin rights there as well - in case I need to fix something.

[QUOTE=Liggy;2603252]On my PC (Win 7) I only have my own user with admin permissions, UAC turned off and auto-login enabled.[/quote]Oh, You’re running a honeypot…

My wife doesn’t have admin-rights on her own PC but that’s because she wanted it that way - if required she has her own admin-user.
That lady is clever :iagree:

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2603301]Oh, You’re running a honeypot…[/QUOTE]
Not really. If that was the case I would encounter a lot more threads or have constant virus infections.

That lady is clever :iagree:

Using your brain often helps much more than using any other security measures.