Sony dvd rw 710A slow burning

Hi, I have just recently bought an external sony dvd rw drive but when i backup a dvd on a 8x dvd disc it takes 1 hour and 40 mins to complete. I know something has to be wrong. I used nero and another software to burn and they both burn at the same speed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :).

You don’t give us anywhere near enough information to begin to help you - so we can’t.

What is the spec of your PC? Is the external drive connected by firewire, USB1.1 or USB2.0? What media are you using (type/brand/media code)? What version of Nero? How much data takes 1h40 to complete?

–Loob.

Hi, sorry about that. here are the specs and added info.

computer specs.
Sony Vaio desktop
Windowsxp home edition
service pack 2
pentium 4 1.60 GHz
768 MB RAM
80 GB harddrive

USB 2.0
Memorex 8X DVD+R
Nero 6.3.1.19 SE
Trying to burn 4+ GB on the discs

Thanks.

I’d double check those USBs, I suspect the native USBs on that machine are 1.1. (My computer has just about the same configuation (age as well?) and I needed to buy a USB 2 card for it.

The easiest way to check is to try playing a dvd on that burner. Is the picture jerky-- stop and go–? If yes, then it’s either USB 1.1 or the drivers need to be updated to USB2.

Hi, thank you very much for the reply. That does seem to be the problem. I tried playing a dvd and I got those problems that you mentioned. I don’t know where to update the driver. I tried the sony website but that was no help also I am pretty sure I have usb 2.0 but I am now sure, how would I check? Thanks again for the reply :).

These are the usbs I see in Device Manager.
Intel® 8280 IBA/BAM Universal Host Controller -2442
Intel® 8280 IBA/BAM Universal Host Controller -2442
USB Mass Sorage Device
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub

I tried right-clicking the driver and updating from online but that didn’t help.
Thanks. :slight_smile:

Yes - looks like a classic case of USB1.1 only.

But an add-in PCI USB2.0 card for your PC for just £/$/€15 and watch those DVDs fly!

–Loob.

Thank you again for your help :). Could you recommend a brand or will the one in the link below be ok?.

Yeah looks fine!

–Loob.