Sony DVD-R Media (1x-8x Speed) w/AccuCORE

vbimport

I bought two, 10 packs made in Taiwan from the Sony Store. I was wondering if this media is high quality, going to be using them for long-term archival backups.

Based on my experience my MIT SONY08D1 and DONYD11 from a spindle and a few 5pks, I would not recommend these for long term storage.

Burn quality is generally average at best, and bonding is mediocre. Sony media also got a “–” rating in C’t magazine’s accelerated aging tests (aka the worst possible).

Now, I’m not saying that Sony isn’t capable of making good media, but instead that Daxon, who makes Sony’s MIT media, isn’t. If you can find any “Made in Japan” Sony media, DVD-R or DVD+R, you’ll be in good shape.

Where are you located?

Canada. I did a little research and TY seems to be the most popular and highest quality brand. If I knew where to get some TY (non-spindle preferably) I would get that instead. I guess I’ll be returning these, but if I found Sony media Made in Japan, would that be good?

Hrm… Taiyo Yuden is pretty easy to find, but not in jewel cases. If what you’re burning is really important, I’d recommend Maxell Broadcast Quality DVD-Rs, which are a professional Maxell product with a scratch resistant coating. They’ll cost you an arm and a leg (over $2/disc), but they maybe worth it for you. You can get them from any professional Maxell dealer, or NCIX in BC which would probably be cheaper than a normal professional dealer.

You might be able to find jewel-cased Taiyo Yuden under the Fujifilm brand. If they’re made in Japan, they’re Taiyo Yuden.

Any good stores/more brands you can recommend in Canada would be great. I was supposed to start creating backups today of all my drives, but wanted to make sure first, I haven’t opened the Sony media I bought so I’ll probably return that

Any good stores/more brands you can recommend in Canada would be great. I was supposed to start creating backups today of all my drives, but wanted to make sure first, I haven’t opened the Sony media I bought so I’ll probably return that.

The Sony “Made in Japan” I’ve bought are Taiyo Yuden.

In the US, the Sony DVD-R 1-8X Made in Japan label doesn’t mean that it has to be Taiyo Yuden TYG02 mediaID as it’s often Sony08D1 mediaID. I’m not sure if this holds true for Canada but here is a previous link here will help you maximize your chances of getting the TY media and not Sony’s own.

All the recent MIJ Sony 8X DVD-Rs have been TYG02. Even if you do get SONY08D1, it’s not bad stuff.

That is good to hear :iagree:

My experience of MIT SONY D11 is similar. First disc out of the pack burned with excellent results (on an LG4163), but subsequent discs were as [buck] described.

Here in the UK, we have more chance of finding hen’s teeth than MIJ Sonys. :slight_smile: