Sony DVD-R DRU-510A

vbimport

Hello, first time poster. :slight_smile:

I have a problem with my DVD drive. Yesterday I was in the middle of a DVD burning process and I got some error notice (?). The tray didn’t open (even after restart) so I opened it manually by pushing a straightened paperclip into the little hole on the front panel, and I took out the DVD disc.

Now, after another reboot the empty DVD drive doesn’t open and the light on the panel keeps on blinking as if it was still burning a DVD. Does it mean my DVD drive is broken? Is there anything I could do to make it work again?

(It’s not a brand new drive, I bought it 3 years ago and successfully burned some 50-60 CD’s/DVD’s.) Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

yup your drive is dieing, better buy a new one

That’s strange, I thought I’d be able to write at least 500-600 CD/DVD’s with that kind of drive, not 50-60… By the way, is there a way to check before buying a new one how many discs it is capable of writing? (approximately)

The DRU-510 is not a perfect drive, but it’s not bad. You can find new firmware for it at www.rpc1.org Perhaps that will help reviving it.

Any tips on which brand/model I should buy? My PC is PIII, 797MHz, 512RAM. (yeah, I know… :confused: )

Why not first try to revive it before you spend your money?

You mean flashing the drive? I’ll look up some info on that on the Internet, thanks. I’m just thinking it will be quite difficult since that drive isn’t recognised in Windows anymore, it just says CD drive (though it’s DVD!), and when I click on it, it says no media found in the drive. :doh:

What do you have to lose? :slight_smile: