Sony DVD external enclosure disassembly

vbimport

Just wondering if anyone has any tips or advice on how to disassemble or open a Sony external enclosure. I think all the Sony external all pretty much use the same enclosure.

I have a DRX-810UL and would like to take the drive out and swap in another drive to use externally.

I have located 2 screws underneath the rubber feet closest to the front of the drive. The back 2 feet doesn’t seem to have screws. After that I’m stumped. I cannot locate anymore screws around the case. And it doesn’t seem to pop open. I think there’s some plastic latches around the inside. I was able to side a credit card in, but was unable to unhook.

Anyone have any tips on getting this enclosure open?

Alright… Never mind… After about 2 hours of poking at it and getting my fingers sandwiched, I finally figured it out. It’s actually pretty easy to disassemble once you know where to look.

Basically, this is one of those screwless cases. There’s only two places holding it together, the front and the back. There are no hooks in the middle.

First thing to do is remove the front face. There are four hooks on the front, as seen in picture 01. This can be done by lowering the tray door and pushing out on the edge of the front door assembly. Press either up or down. The front case assembly rim is pretty flexible. The other side will pop off easily once one side is off.

At the bottom, remove the two front rubber feet, and then remove the two screws, as seen in picture 02. These screw the bottom of the drive to the bottom of the case.

The other place the case is hooked up is the back. There are two places in the back. Look at picture 03. There should be something that looks like the emergency eject holes. Stick an emergency eject tool or a paper clip into the hole.

You should be able to take the bottom case off as shown in picture 04. Notice the little tabs at the back. That’s what’s holding the case together.
Finally remove the metal shield by lifting the tabs at the side as shown.

You should be be now be able to see the IDE-USB circuit board, picture 05.

Unplug the IDE cable and molex power and now you’re done, picture 06.

Thanks. This is helpful info.

Thanks for the pics, this might come handy when I decide to dissect my 810UL too :smiley:

Thanks for taking time to take the pics. I was about ready to wack it with a hammer. Unit has not been opening ever since my ex dropped it off a table.

thanks

this is really helpful

Thanks a lot

Thanks for the pics also

by any chance do you know why dvd wont open up?

[QUOTE=nordoyan;2679609]by any chance do you know why dvd wont open up?[/QUOTE]

Do you mean the tray won’t open? This could be due to many things, possibly a burned out power adapter?

Thank you!

It’s annoying to post two times to see attached pictures.
Really need it!

[QUOTE=SleepyBum;2517183]Alright… Never mind… After about 2 hours of poking at it and getting my fingers sandwiched, I finally figured it out. It’s actually pretty easy to disassemble once you know where to look.

Basically, this is one of those screwless cases. There’s only two places holding it together, the front and the back. There are no hooks in the middle.

First thing to do is remove the front face. There are four hooks on the front, as seen in picture 01. This can be done by lowering the tray door and pushing out on the edge of the front door assembly. Press either up or down. The front case assembly rim is pretty flexible. The other side will pop off easily once one side is off.

At the bottom, remove the two front rubber feet, and then remove the two screws, as seen in picture 02. These screw the bottom of the drive to the bottom of the case.

The other place the case is hooked up is the back. There are two places in the back. Look at picture 03. There should be something that looks like the emergency eject holes. Stick an emergency eject tool or a paper clip into the hole.

You should be able to take the bottom case off as shown in picture 04. Notice the little tabs at the back. That’s what’s holding the case together.
Finally remove the metal shield by lifting the tabs at the side as shown.

You should be be now be able to see the IDE-USB circuit board, picture 05.

Unplug the IDE cable and molex power and now you’re done, picture 06.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the picts helped alot!

Does anyone Know how the front door spring is mounted?

:clap:hi

:clap::clap: thanx :clap::clap:

Thanks for the help

Having been looking for instructions for ages

THanks