Sony DVD burners driver? problems

vbimport

A couple of days ago I replaced a Lite-On DVD burner with a SONY Optiarc DVD AD-7260S (S-ATA) burner. The firmware was Version 1.02.

I got two Sony’s (for back-up).

I started having problems with both of the Sony DVD burners ‘staying’ installed.

At first I thought it may be the drive (defective) so I replaced the one Sony with the other identical Sony.

For no apparent reason when I start to run ImgBurn or sometimes DVD Player, my Windows XP O/S would hang up (looking for the drive) and I would have to re-boot. Other times, when ImgBurn would indicate that it couldn’t find the DVD drive, I could go to the Device Manager and ‘disable’ and ‘enable’ the drive and then ImgBurn could find it.

I thought that maybe there was something wrong with the driver, so I went to the Sony DVD site and downloaded and installed what I thought was the latest driver. What I got was a firmware up-date, actually a complete firmware file that up-dated the firmware in the drive from version 1.02 to 1.03.

My first question is the driver part of the firmware?

This does not seem to have fixed the problem. The drive continues to ‘disappear’ and when a program tries to access it Win XP goes into a loop. Also, sometimes when I re-boot after this happens, the device manager indicates that there is no DVD drive installed (not listed) so I can’t do the disable/enable thing and have to re-boot again.

I’ve done a complete virus/malware scan of the C drive before WinXP starts and after it is running. No problems.

I’ve had other problems with Lite-On drives, which is why I’m switching to Sony, but never had a problem like this.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks.

You are describing exactly the same issue that I experienced with Sony drive, same OS. Now I have two LG and one Lite-On, no problem since. I bought Lite-On only because it support Disk Speed, Disc Quality Check.

The driver for the optical drives is included in the operating system. You should look and see if there is an updated chipset driver for your motherboard, which should include the drivers for the SATA controller.

You can also try deleting the upper and lower filters: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/driverssupport/ht/upperfilters-lowerfilters.htm

How old is the computer? Michael indicated in another thread that power supply problems can sometimes be part of optical drive failures.

[QUOTE=CDuncle;2564742]You are describing exactly the same issue that I experienced with Sony drive, same OS. Now I have two LG and one Lite-On, no problem since. …[/QUOTE]

I contacted Newegg and told them what you said. They are going to give me a refund on the two Sonys. Newegg is a great on-line retailer.

I ordered two LGs from Newegg. Probably be next week before I get to install and try one.

Thanks for your help.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2564743]… You should look and see if there is an updated chipset driver for your motherboard, which should include the drivers for the SATA controller.[/QUOTE]

My grandson built the PC so he is going to check that out.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2564743] You can also try deleting the upper and lower filters: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/driverssupport/ht/upperfilters-lowerfilters.htm[/QUOTE]

I read through all the info about that and it involves altering the Registry. I don’t feel comfortable (actually it’s scary for me) messing with the Registry. So I’ll give that a miss. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2564743] How old is the computer? [/QUOTE]

About four years.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2564743] Michael indicated in another thread that power supply problems can sometimes be part of optical drive failures.[/QUOTE]

I’ll pass that along to my grandson.

Thanks for your help.

Hi,[QUOTE=secretcodebreaker;2564863]
I read through all the info about that and it involves altering the Registry. I don’t feel comfortable (actually it’s scary for me) messing with the Registry. So I’ll give that a miss. :)[/quote]Microsoft makes some things more easily with their Fixit tools:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116
http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us

Michael

Thank You mciahel
Definitely helpful links to Microsoft

I found the problem (I think). The SATA cable connection on the motherboard was loose (or dirty). I disconnected it, blew air on it and re-seated it.

Everything has been working fine since.

I got this error message while I was running a program and it started its usual (hanging up Windows).

Failed to Read File “d:” The Request Could Not Be Performed Because Of An I/O Device Error.

Thanks to all for responding to my post.

I guess you were more lucky than me. I tried all kind of things, but nothing worked.
Hope your system will stay that way.

So is this a PSU problem or not?

Anyone?

Edited

[QUOTE=Goit;2568904]Anyone?[/QUOTE]

I guess nobody ever asked you how many drives are on your machine and what is the size of PSU.
I just experienced similar problem as you, but knew that my PSU is not quite enough when I installed additional drives. It finally quit. Signs were very similar to yours. PSU are cheep these days, so to change one is not such a big deal.