Sony DRU500A @ 4x on Memorex DVD+RW?

vbimport

I bought some Memorex DVD+RW media and only get the option to burn at 2.4x on my Sony DRU-500a, no matter what firmware I use.
DVDinfo Pro:

Media Information
Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID PHILIPS 041
Format Capacity 4.38GB(4.70GB)
Book Type DVD+RW
Media Type DVD+RW
Media Id Code Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.4x 3324KBps
BG Format Status Suspended
Data area starting sector 30000h
Data area end sector 23053Fh
Linear Density 0.267um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 1

I then bought some Infiniti (Ricoh) 4x DVD+RW and have the same problem. DVDinfo pro shows them as 4x, so why won’t the Sony let me burn them at 4x? Anyone else had this problem?
DVDinfo Pro:

Media Information
Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID RICOHJPNW11
Format Capacity Not Formatted
Free Blocks 405405696
Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.70GB)
Book Type DVD+RW
Media Type DVD+RW
Media Id Code Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.4x 3324KBps
BG Format Status Not Formatted
Data area starting sector 30000h
Linear Density 0.267um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 1

That’s because the Sony DRU-500A only can burn DVD+RW media at 2.4x, regardless of what speed it is.

The Sony DRU-530A was the first Sony burner released that has the ability to write DVD+RW media at 4x.

And no, there is no firmware or hack to overclock the DRU-500A drive.

Thanks. That would explain it. When I first bought this drive, I went to the Sony website to get a firmware upgrade due to lousy recognition of 4x DVD-R media, and it said that firmware 1.0f adds support for 4X recording on DVD+R/RW media, although I have checked the Sony site again and can find no mention of that now.
Obviously, Sony were telling lies :confused:

It says that on the RPC1.org web site:
http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?category=4&manufactor=30

“Firmware 1.0f Add support for 4X DVD recording on DVD+R/RW discs”

But the site is incorrect. The drive shipped with 4x DVD-R, 2x DVD-RW, and 2.4x DVD+R/+RW writing abilities. Firmware 1.0f added the ability to write DVD+R at 4x as well.

I’ve never seen it on the Sony’s web site. But I don’t check every day. :slight_smile:

The firmware forum now reads:
“Firmwares since 1.0f add support for 4X DVD recording on compatible DVD+/-R discs”

As I remember Sony’s website, they only claimed 4X write for write once media for firmware 1.0f. Even this was a large improvement at the time. The drive was originally sold as a 2.4X max drive. This was the first time, at least as far as I know, that an official firmware has increased the write speed of any drive.