Sony DRU-V204A (Optiarc AD-7200A) 20X IDE DVD Burner - Best Burner Ever! - $19.99 - Free Shipping - eBay

vbimport

They have 53 of these left as of this posting:

While the BenQ DW1640 was the best all-around burner/reader/ripper ever made, the Sony DRU-V204A (Optiarc AD-7200A) was probably the best pure burner. This drive marked the end of the line for IDE burners as a viable option. After this was discontinued, quality IDE burners no longer existed, and people were forced to switch to SATA.

This drive will still outperform any SATA drive in terms of burning quality, except for maybe the Pioneer DVR-215D and Samsung SH-S243N (and those are discontinued as well).

What a find :eek:.

Thank you. I do have to agree with your top 3 list. The 7200 is at the top for me.

…but “Best Burner Ever!”

No way.

[QUOTE=chef;2640597]…but “Best Burner Ever!”

No way.[/QUOTE]

Name a better and more consistent burner.

“…the best pure burner” for cd-r (verbatim, taiyo yuden, ritek) burned @ 8x/12x/16x and dvd+r (verbatim made in taiwan, india, japan, u.a.e. and maxell xtreme protek mid: maxell 003) burned @ 8x for [B]me[/B] are…
LG GSA-H44 / PIONEER DVR-115/215
in the last few years i have had tested a lot of h44n, x15, 7200, x16.

followed by…
SONY OPTIARC AD7200 / PIONEER DVR-116/216

but the h44n, x15, 7200, x16 are all unavailable, normally.
so, if you can get a [B]new[/B] 7200 take 2-3 for the future. :wink:

I go along with memorys selection.

[QUOTE=negritude;2640577]Tthe Sony DRU-V204A (Optiarc AD-7200A) was probably the best pure burner. [/QUOTE]

Very true. Amazing burner - I have 3 of them, one being the Sony retail.

My AD-720x drives have always been excellent DVD burners, along with the DRU-842A which is very closely related (and is available from the same vendor negritude provided the link to). The DVR-115 has also been stellar. Although I never had quite as good of burns from the SH-243N, I have to say that it is the best DVD reader/ripper I have ever owned. It will read discs that all my others drives choke on. It’s too bad all three are discontinued and very rarely available. If you don’t already have a stash of the AD-720x drives, by all means grab some!

I just bought my first SATA compatible computer a few months ago. For those of you running IDE drives, is it just a matter of getting a SATA-IDE adapter plug or do you run these as external drives using an enclosure case?

[QUOTE=jadburner;2641241]…the DRU-842A which is very closely related (and is available from the same vendor negritude provided the link to).[/QUOTE]

Yes, the DRU-842A is a also a rebadged AD-7200A:

They have a whole bunch of those (135 as of this posting).

Just bought a new Sammy 243 on E-Bay $25 + $15 shipping, a little high?

[QUOTE=WiltonParmenter;2641308]I just bought my first SATA compatible computer a few months ago. For those of you running IDE drives, is it just a matter of getting a SATA-IDE adapter plug or do you run these as external drives using an enclosure case?[/QUOTE]

The best way would be to connect it to an actual IDE controller. If your new computer doesn’t have one, then get a Promise IDE controller that fits in one of your PCI or PCI-E slots and connect it that way.

In IDE to USB connector will work, but it isn’t quite as reliable. I’ve done it with myh old NEC 3500’s and Plextor 1210 with good results, I just didn’t like having all of the cables laying around.

Yo-

My new Optiarc [B]AD-5280S-CB-Plus [/B]surpasses my old Optiarc AD-7200A and S burners-period!

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2641900]Yo-

My new Optiarc [B]AD-5280S-CB-Plus [/B]surpasses my old Optiarc AD-7200A and S burners-period![/QUOTE]

The operative words being “old Optiarc”.

C’mon Mike, grab one of these new 7200’s and let it spank that 5280 like you know it can ;):bigsmile:

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2641806]Just bought a new Sammy 243 on E-Bay $25 + $15 shipping, a little high?[/QUOTE]

Nope. That’s within my comfort range for a semi-rare drive that I know I want and don’t feel like spending the next 6 months bargain shopping for(or waiting for Jim to sell off one of his spares :bigsmile:)

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2641900]My new Optiarc [B]AD-5280S-CB-Plus [/B]surpasses my old Optiarc AD-7200A and S burners-period![/QUOTE]

Is that this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118073

What sort of chipset is it using? NEC or Renesas? Does yours have the duplicator firmware?

Note, they also sell this at Amazon, which for some of us avoids sales tax:

I purchased my AD-5280S-CB-PLUS from Amazon. It uses a Renesas chipset (MC 10131) and came with duplicator firmware 1.Z7.

Negritude,
do these have to be cross flashed?

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2641994]Negritude,
do these have to be cross flashed?[/QUOTE]

Are you asking about the 204A? If so, no, you don’t have to cross-flash them. I found that in some cases, my retail boxed 204As with Sony firmware burned slightly better than my OEM 7200As with Optiarc firmware. So if you buy one, use it as is. You can cross-flash it if you want to, but it’s really not necessary.

[QUOTE=jadburner;2641916]I purchased my AD-5280S-CB-PLUS from Amazon. It uses a Renesas chipset (MC 10131) and came with duplicator firmware 1.Z7.[/QUOTE]

I just love how the chips are still basically NEC (down to the similar model number) but branded as Renesas. Confuses me every time I see it.

Thanks.