Sony dru-870s to Optiarc ad-7240s How to?

Hi,

i know that the drives are the same but suprisling the <layer id=“google-toolbar-hilite-0” style=“background-color: Yellow; color: black;”>Sony</layer> <layer id=“google-toolbar-hilite-3” style=“background-color: Cyan; color: black;”>dru-870s</layer> have that <layer id=“google-toolbar-hilite-1” style=“background-color: Yellow; color: black;”>Sony</layer> letters wich is really cool for my e-ego :iagree:
so <layer id=“google-toolbar-hilite-2” style=“background-color: Yellow; color: black;”>Sony</layer> <layer id=“google-toolbar-hilite-4” style=“background-color: Cyan; color: black;”>dru-870s</layer> <layer id=“google-toolbar-hilite-5” style=“background-color: Fuchsia; color: black;”>to</layer> <layer id=“google-toolbar-hilite-8” style=“background-color: Chartreuse; color: black;”><layer id=“google-toolbar-hilite-8” style=“background-color: Chartreuse; color: black;”><layer id=“google-toolbar-hilite-8” style=“background-color: Chartreuse; color: black;”>Optiarc</layer></layer></layer> <layer id=“google-toolbar-hilite-11” style=“background-color: Dodgerblue; color: black;”><layer id=“google-toolbar-hilite-11” style=“background-color: Dodgerblue; color: black;”><layer id=“google-toolbar-hilite-11” style=“background-color: Dodgerblue; color: black;”>ad-7240s</layer></layer></layer> How <layer id=“google-toolbar-hilite-6” style=“background-color: Fuchsia; color: black;”>to</layer>? or i dont need to flash it because i can use <layer id=“google-toolbar-hilite-8” style=“background-color: Chartreuse; color: black;”><layer id=“google-toolbar-hilite-8” style=“background-color: Chartreuse; color: black;”><layer id=“google-toolbar-hilite-8” style=“background-color: Chartreuse; color: black;”>the Optiarc</layer></layer></layer> <layer id=“google-toolbar-hilite-11” style=“background-color: Dodgerblue; color: black;”><layer id=“google-toolbar-hilite-11” style=“background-color: Dodgerblue; color: black;”><layer id=“google-toolbar-hilite-11” style=“background-color: Dodgerblue; color: black;”>ad-7240s firmware rite way on the Sony.

Thanks
</layer></layer></layer>

I know this a bit Silly but i like Sony very much, when i was very young i read a lot of Sony propaganda book (yes that time they were big and like eg an What Hifi magazine) now that´s is over due the INTERNET.

Anyone?

Plextorpremium, may I join you asking. Liggy, could you please give a short note:

1. What exactly is the difference between the DRU-870S 1.61 (or any other version in general) and the AD-7240S 1.03 firmwares?

2. Can the 870S be crossflashed to an AD-7240S? If so, how to do it?

Many thanks for reading!

anikk

Sure you can join any help resolving this is welcome and i really would like to know this!

Another advantage of buying this burner is that it cams with Nero 8 essentials and manuals witch is also handy.

You should easily be able to flash Optiarc AD-7240S and Sony DRU-870S firmwares with Binflash.

But I don’t know what other differences in addition to the name these firmwares have.

Sorry for asking back, but in your reply do you mean that one could simply take Binflash and flash the 870S drive with the 7240S firmware and that’s it? Just like it was an 870S firmware?

My only concern is CD audio writing/reading quality if i get no advantage in Optiac firm then i don´t bother.

But:

Also there isn´t Optiarc alone anymore just Sony Optiarc and in their site you have the firm for the retail Sony and the AD-7240s

In their site: The size of the Sony firm and Sony/Optiarc AD-7240s are exactly the same even million bytes!!!

Also their media list are exactly the same

So maybe the firm are the same

Your opinion Liggy would be great

[QUOTE=anikk;2522370]Sorry for asking back, but in your reply do you mean that one could simply take Binflash and flash the 870S drive with the 7240S firmware and that’s it? Just like it was an 870S firmware?[/QUOTE]
I didn’t check all locations in the firmware, but the 4 Bytes drive identification was the same for both drives, so they should be compatible.

[QUOTE=Plextorpremium;2522385]In their site: The size of the Sony firm and Sony/Optiarc AD-7240s are exactly the same even million bytes!!!

So maybe the firm are the same[/QUOTE]
Of course (uncompressed) firmwares for the same drive have the same size. Unused space in a firmware is usually filled with 0xff Bytes.

Usually there are differences in several areas of the firmware, but I have never bothered trying to find out what they’re used for.

“Of course (uncompressed) firmwares for the same drive have the same size. Unused space in a firmware is usually filled with 0xff Bytes. Usually there are differences in several areas of the firmware, but I have never bothered trying to find out what they’re used for.” But i sized the firmwares in .exe format not rar, Zip files is that what you mean?

I could flash the Sony with the optiarc firmware using binflash ,first made a dump of the original firmware but compared to the 7240s review at CD Freaks and the results were very disappointing so i returned to the original firm and still mediocre write performance:

Selected speed: 48 X, DVD data burned the one created by DiscSpeed 5 create disc

General Information

Drive: SONY DVD RW DRU-870S

Firmware: 1.61

Disc: CD-R (data) (Taiyo Yuden)

Selected speed: 48 X

Recorder information

Write speed: 48 X

C1 Errors

Maximum: 197

Average: 29.47

Total: 141310

C2 Errors

Maximum: 0

Average: 0.00

Total: 0

Jitter: -

Scanning Statistics

Elapsed time: 2:31

Number of samples: 4794

Average scanning interval: 1.00 sec

Glitches removed: 0

Selected speed: 5 X, DVD data burned the one created by DiscSpeed 5 create disc

General Information

Disc: DVD+R (SONY D21)

Selected speed: 5 X

Recorder information

Write speed: 18 X

PI Errors

Maximum: 168

Average: 59.92

Total: 1074080

PI failures

Maximum: 9

Average: 0.05

Total: 7239

PO failures: -

Scanning Statistics

Elapsed time: 16:06

Number of samples: 17927

Average scanning interval: 8.00 ECC

Quality scan by DiscSpeed 5 of a pressed DVDvideo

General Information

Disc: DVD-Video

Selected speed: 5 X

PI Errors

Maximum: 30

Average: 6.64

Total: 186858

PI failures

Maximum: 8

Average: 0.02

Total: 4815

PO failures: -

Scanning Statistics

Elapsed time: 26:11

Number of samples: 28155

Average scanning interval: 8.00 ECC

CD data burned the one created by DiscSpeed 5 create disc

General Information

Disc: CD-R (data) (Taiyo Yuden)

Selected speed: 48 X

Recorder information

Write speed: 48 X

C1 Errors

Maximum: 198

Average: 26.99

Total: 129399

C2 Errors

Maximum: 0

Average: 0.00

Total: 0

Scanning Statistics

Elapsed time: 2:31

Number of samples: 4794

Average scanning interval: 1.00 sec

same but in pic:

Also Nero DriveSpeed, Nero InfoTool doesn´t detect the Sony only my other Burner: PATA drive the LiteON LH-20A1h with LLOD firm

This is my first Sata Optical drive maybe i have to change something in thje BIOS, I have SATA devices configured as AHCI i think i have to have that for my SSD
Someone care to explain?

[QUOTE=Plextorpremium;2523250]But i sized the firmwares in .exe format not rar, Zip files is that what you mean?[/QUOTE]
Most Optiarc flashers consist of a flasher executable which is usually the same size for the same drive followed directly by the uncompressed firmware. So still the same size here :slight_smile:

Sometimes wen one renames an .exe to eg rar eg winrar can open it an i tried that with the firms but without no avail so i thought that was just one file.

regarding my problem there is some special care installing sata optical drives eg:

better leave sata 1-4 for HD and use Sata 5-6?

or (it´s my case) better use Intel ICH10R Sata ports then the ones off JMicron JMB 322?

Curiously My Asus P6T manual says that the sata ports of the JMicron JMB 322 do not support ATAPI devices (ok no PATA i understand) but it says then that only supports Hard Drives!!

What do you think? Is it possible to crossflash the Sony DRU-870S drive with the firmware 1.04 of the Optiarc 7240S?
The original FW 1.61 of the 870S has appeared in November 2009, the 1.04 of the 7240S is substantially newer (from May, 2010).

I don´t remember if i cross flashed the
[B] Sony dru-870s 1.61 with the Optiarc official firmware 1.01 or the 1.04 available at that time. I could be the latest. But i think that really doesn´t matter because as long it´s possible crossflash you can try and if doesn´t work you use the bump to return to the original firmware and try again.[/B]

[B]Also in one post i said that i had bad results it turned out that i also had similar results with a brand new and real Liteon IHAS 524 because i thought the DVD+r media Sony that i was using was very good but as soon i used DVD+R media from Verbatim in the Liteon i had similar results from the posts in the liteon IHAS 524 media results.[/B]

Witch makes sense because both drives produced excellent results with Tayio Yuden CD-R

OK, thank you, then I try it with the crossflash.