Sony DRU-840A Multi-Format DVD Burner

I just posted the article Sony DRU-840A Multi-Format DVD Burner.

“The Sony DRU-840A is fast and burns most media with good quality”.

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/review/13731-Sony-DRU-840A-Multi-Format-DVD-Burner/](http://www.cdfreaks.com/review/13731-Sony-DRU-840A-Multi-Format-DVD-Burner/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Great recommendaton Great device works just like you said :slight_smile:

Well, my copy of this drive will not write to any of the DL media that I have tried. Includes: Sony, HP, Memorex. I can’t find a firmware upgrade for it, either.

I can burn on Memorex DVD+R DL disks, but only at 4X, the slowest I can go. I haven’t tried any other brands yet. There seems to be no firmware update out yet. Hope thats rectified soon.

Well, well. The 4x write speed is the key for burning Memorex DL blanks, at least. Thanks for the effort.

For some reason this drive slows down for me about half way through a burn and becomes totally silent. I have it set to burn dvd’s at 16x and like i said it does that half way through and same with 12x.The good part is that it has always burned the dvd and never made any coasters(Yet).But the bad part is the end result is always a burn that is going at either 5x speed or 10x speed.Thats what the result in Ashampoo burning studio says(cd burned succesfully at 5 or 10x) So I’m just wondering if anyone knows what exactly is up with that and why it does it.Any suggestions and help would be very much appreciated.Thanks!

does it have bitsettings on it i would really like to know

I Love My DRU-840A Burner except for one thing. I have been trying to FIND the Firmware Patch for Region Free and several Members have said that it is here but after a week every day I have tried to find a Download link for the BIN file but I guess I will just have to Stop Looking. I just can’t find a download link. Oh Well Have a Great day. Jimbo992

I Love My DRU-840A Burner except for one thing. I have been trying to FIND the Firmware Patch for Region Free and several Members have said that it is here but after a week every day I have tried to find a Download link for the BIN file but I guess I will just have to Stop Looking. I just can’t find a download link. Oh Well Have a Great day. Jimbo992

I have Nero 8 and was wondering if I have to downgrade to Nero 7 to get 20x speed, like what Jimbo said " I’ll look for the Fimeware " to up grade Dru-840A. Hope I didn’t made a mistake buying this

I think this burner sucks , I have stacks of disks that have been wrecked due to the drive spitting them out . I dont know if its the memorex disks or the drive . today I will buy some other types of disks and try , if that fails this drive will get thrown in the street !!

I’ve had consistent problems at the end of writing (may be finalizing) DVD+R discs with both a Sony DRU-710A and Sony DRU-840A. NovaBackup consistently issues an error message, Norton Ghost issued a “finalizing” message. Reading is never a problem and Sony’s DriveCheck always gives a thumbs up, but after four years with these two drives I’m no closer to a solution than I was when I installed the DRU-710A. This should be a simple issue to resolve but the software support for NovaBackup and Norton Ghost were no help at all. Is it the drive? My cable? (why would it fail only at the ned?) Just not a good experience.