Sony DRU 830A Dont read old DVD

vbimport

I have sony DRU-830A (3 year old). Now, i regularly make DL DVDs from it. Now, all the Recent DVD i burnt is redable frm the drive, but the older burns tht i made 1 year ago, is not redable at all. I am getting the message no disk inserted.

Next, if i play tht DVD on my standalone DVD player it works! If i insert tht old DVD on my new LG Burner it reads as well…

So what shall i conclude from it ?? DVD are not bad as it can be redable from all other drives and sony writer is not bad as well as it burns all dvds perfectly and reads almost everything except old burns…

Hi,

this could be a problem of your discs degrading, or the lens needs some cleaning. I suspect the former since you can read newer discs. Time to make backups as long as they are readable. :cool:

Michael
P.S.: I’ll move this thread to the Samsung forum since this drive is a recycled TSST SH-S182D :wink:

Well, my other drive dont support disk quality but i have managed to complete Scandisc, its showing fully readable media. So, can i conclude tht it has to be sum laser problem? If yes, what is the best way to clean - By Lens clean DVD OR by opening & cleaning by some solution?

[QUOTE=craige4u;2573180]Well, my other drive dont support disk quality but i have managed to complete Scandisc, its showing fully readable media.[/quote]The “benchmark” test is often better since slowdowns are an indication for readability problems.

So, can i conclude tht it has to be sum laser problem?
Not yet.
If yes, what is the best way to clean - By Lens clean DVD OR by opening & cleaning by some solution?
Some manufacturers of optical drives like Philips and Pioneer advise to not use a “cleaner disc”.
You can try to get rid of the dust inside with (canned) compressed air. Or disassemble the drive and carefully clean the lens using Q-Tips and perhaps some Iso-Propanol.

Additional remark: The Ritek media you are using can be troublesome. Best DL stuff is still Verbatim.

Michael

P.S.: You can attach your screenshots directly without using some image hoster. Simply look into my sig :wink:

I aint good at reading graphs, so pls review my benchmark and tellme what you think now is the culprit.

](http://img820.imageshack.us/i/benchmarkdy.png/)[/IMG]

The reading curve is smooth. Your LG drive can read this disc perfectly. So this disc isn’t as bad as I suspected.
Then go ahead and see if you can clean the lens of your TSST/Sony :slight_smile:

Michael

I had cleaned the lens by opening the drive and the problem is solved, seems lens got dirty.

Thanks Mciahel for your response.

PS: I had 1 more question which i had posted, you may wana help me out there…