Sony DRU-810A Very Slow DVD Burning - only 2-3x @ 16x?

Hi guys. First post here.

I just got a Sony DRU-810A 16X DVD-RW. I am running a Gigabyte GA-K8NS board with AMD64 +3000, 1.5GB memory. Ive had the drive installed for about a week, and have successfully burned a dozen or so DVDs.

The issue is that even though I select a 16x burn speed, and am using the recommended 16x Verbatim DVD+R media, the actual burn speed is only 2-3x. I really do not understand what is going on here. I have updated all the drivers for the drive, for my board, flashed the BIOS in both the drive and the board, and played with the master/slave settings and IDE channel locations.

The only thing that I have noticed is that wherever I install the drive, the mainboard only detects and lets it run on Ultra DMA 2. Is this the source of the problem? I dont think so, but I dont know…

If it is not, what could be up? Has anyone else had this problem? What could be causing it to only actually write this slow?

Welcome to cdfreaks. :slight_smile:

Have you tried with other brands of media? Maybe you just got a bunch defective discs.
UDMA-2 is max transfer speed for your drive with current firmware.

BTW, your drive is a rebadged BenQ DW1640.

No, not yet. Plan to try that as soon as I get my hands on some.

One thing I did notice, however, is that it appears that the Buffer Underrun protection is kicking in constantly. The “Used Read Buffer” in Nero stays at 98-100%, but the drive buffer runs up and down from 80% to 20% constantly. It seems as though the drive is not getting supplied the data to write fast enough. Also, when imaging a disc back to the hard disk, I only get about 8000-10000 KB/s. What could this be?

BTW, my current configuration is this: Primary Master - WD 80gb 7200RPM (boot), Primary Slave - WD 80gb 7200RPM (storage), Secondary Master - Sony DRU-810A, Secondary Slave - Lite-On 52x CD-RW.

post a burn log

Hey guys. It actually looks like I solved the problem. My new IDE cables arrived today, so I went to put them in before I burned a disc and saved the log to post here. Well, in going to burn the disc, the drive is burning at 16x now with the new cables and same Verbatim 16x media. I guess the cable I had in there was not the 80 conductor grounded cable or had some problem with it. Just burned a full disk in 4 minutes at 16x. Appreciate all of your eagerness to help out. Great forum. Thanks.

if the drive is Udma-2 = 33mbssec then i dont see what 80 pin cables would do.

Thanks! I’ll try that…:0