Sony DRU-700A VY05 Firmware with Bitsetting

The latest Sony firmware for the DRU-700A has had the bitsetting removed. Sonys’ reason for this was to met the +R standard which does not include bitsetting :confused:. I’ll let you think about what the real reason might be. :wink:

Anyway, we have released a version on our site that has the bitsetting put back in again. It is the stock version with bitsetting added, so you will need to use the OmniPatcher to add any other speedhacks you might want.

http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares.html

Enjoy! :slight_smile:

Are there any 700A users out there. :stuck_out_tongue:

Can somebody post their bitsetting results using this firmware. :slight_smile:

Everyone’s probably off using VS04… :wink:

Hi
Code im really sorry for not posting some results, cos im one of the peeps that requested it. Well, I was gone for a short vacation. ill gonna post results in an hour or two.

regards
ron

Cool! Thanks… :slight_smile:

Hi
Burned this with code’s patched vy05. using 812s@700a . Burned a no name media (forgot to buy ricoh medias) so the results isnt good. however i tested this with my kiss divx/dvd player. played flawlessly. book type set to rom. this media was burned with nero 6.3.15

Kprobe disc info said this:
Disc Type DVD+R
Book Type DVD-ROM
Manufacturer
Media ID 001
Protection System None
Region 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Capacity 4,38 GB
Free Size 0,00 GB
Free Blocks 0
Number of Layers 1
Linear Density 0.267 um/bit
Track Density 0.74 um/track
Maximum Read Speed 8,0x
Maximum Write Speed 4,0x
Current Write Speed 4,0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 1 4,0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 2 2,4x CLV

regards ron

@ronallan22
Thanks for that :). Do you have any +RW you can try it on?

HI code

Well ive got philips dvd+rw. im gonna scan it later. well but book type to rom seems not to work with +rw. had this problem already with vy02. any way ill post it later.

regards
ron

As you can see the booktype is still +rw, though i set the firmware to autobitset rom (vy05 all boxes checked in omnipatcher).
Disc Type DVD+RW
Book Type DVD+RW
Manufacturer Philips Electronics
Media ID PHILIPS041
Protection System None
Region 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Format Capacity 4,38 GB
Formatted Yes
Capacity 4,38 GB
Free Size 4,38 GB
Free Blocks 2295104
Number of Layers 1
Linear Density 0.267 um/bit
Track Density 0.74 um/track
Maximum Read Speed 8,0x
Maximum Write Speed 4,0x
Current Write Speed 4,0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 1 4,0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 2 2,4x CLV

Here comes a nice philips +rw scan ^^

+RW bitsetting requires that you do a full erase first, so that might be the cause of the problem.

Always do full ersae with cd rw or dvd+rw. Done full erase with dvd decrypter. also tried with dvdinfopro. didnt work. anyway ill try it later again. we’ll see.

ron

P.S.
strangely, if i put it to my pioneer dvd-rom drive and get the info with dvdinfopro. it says booktype rom. im really glad cause normally my 106s doesnt officialy read +r, +rw media^^

Hi, I’m new here and to DVD burning so please go easy on me :slight_smile:

I just purchased the Sony DRU-700A and having some difficulties with it. I’m using an ADS external enclosure and Memorex 4x DVD-R disks. The problems I’ve encoutered so far:

1. Every now and then the burn process seems to stall or freeze, the progress bar stops progressing, the drive light continues to blink as if it’s burning and eventually, after 20 hours the first time!, I cancelled the operation. This has happened on both DVD videos and regular file burning.

2. Some of the DVD videos I made, regardless of being backups of DVD movies or converted home videos, won’t play on anything, including the burner itself! Others instead play without a problem.

I’m not sure I can blame the burner for these problems, it could be the media or the enclosure I guess. Any ideas? Will the new firmware possibly correct the problem? Anything I should know about upgrading the firmware before attempting it?

I have also considered getting a replacement or changing the unit for a better burner. Personally the DL was just a cherry for me, quality and compatibility is really my main concern as I am using this mostly for data backup. Would a Plextor have been a better choice?

Any suggestions? thank you
Giancarlo

Hi

Try upgarding your firmware to VY05 or VS04/VS05 (liteon 832s firmware) which is better than VY05. If this doesnt help, try to reinstall the driver for USB 2.0, ide drivers and such. And about quality burns, if you use quality media your liteon/sony drive is just as good as plextor and such. Btw, use +r media, cos liteon preferss it more. Applying bitsetting to rom will increase the compatiblity of the media even higher than -r medias :iagree:

regards

If you decide to try VS04/VS05, use the firmware from our site. You will also find there a version of VY05 with bitsetting, that the offical release does not have. See my signature…

I updated to the VY05 firmware with the bitsetting, is the VS05 even better? Hopefully this will help, as soon as I have finished these Memorex disks, which ones should I buy? Also, and here comes my ignorance… what is and how do I apply this bitsetting feature?

Thank you for your help
Giancarlo

@tuvix72
I think you should VS08. Its newer than VY05 and thus its better.

regards

I actually kept having the same problem, every 2-3 burns the unit would freeze up half way through a burn, the drive wouldn’t eject and the led would just blink as if it’s still writing. Nothing other than a shut down would bring it back to life. I searched around and found a couple reviews that also indicate this same exact problem. Sony was obviously of no help, I should have guessed as I ran into support problems with a Sony Vaio last year. I have returned it and exchanged it for a Plextor PX-712A, price was similar and the DL feature was not a big deal for me due to the cost of the disks.

BTW, I also bought some Fuji DVD-R and TDK DVD+R and the problem with the Sony still continued. I also upgraded the firmware, tried the modified firmware and original from Sony but problem continued. I guess it was just a faulty unit, hopefully the new drive will be better.

Thanks again!
Giancarlo