Sony DRU-700A Firmware Question

vbimport

Hi everyone, I have a Sony DRU-700A DVD writer. I have been hunting around these forums and since it seems to be the same as a LiteOn drive maybe someone can help me. My apologies if this is in the wrong area.

I would like to know if there is a firmware that will work with this drive to allow me to improve the read speed. For example if I want to use DVD Decrypter to copy a movie to my hard drive to watch, it won’t read it any faster than about 3.5x. I am very new to DVD writers and don’t want to mess my drive up. Can someone please help me. Thank you.

Welcome :slight_smile:

Definitely the right forum ;). A reading speed like that may be due to your system speed, which can affect your ripping speed, if your system is too slow. Or you may have a problem with you DMA setting.

Here’s a tests you can do to check your DMA. Use Nero CD-DVD Speed to do a transfer rate test on a single layer DVD (unprotected) and see if you can read all the way to 8x. If it can then your DMA setting is fine and the problem is most likely you system. What are your system specs?

The 700A already has the DVD video read speed set to the maximum the drive can handle, which is 8x, but remember this is CAV, so the average is around 6.2x. :wink:

Hi there, thanks for replying. I have done the test you requested and attached a image with the results.

My system specs are as follows:

MSI 865PE Neo2-S Motherboard
Intel Pentium 4 HT 2800mhz
1 GB PC2700 Ram
ATI RADEON 9800 PRO 256 MB
2 Western Digital 120GB drives
Samsung 52X CD-R
Sony DRU-700A DVD-R

I think that about covers it. I was under the impression that they locked the read speed of these drives, but since you are telling me this one is not then I’ll be happy with what I have. It is definitely a lot faster than my previous Sony DVD-R (HL-14U I think was the model), it would not read at anything higher than 2X.

Would there be any advantage to me changing my firmware to the LiteOn 832S or anything like that? Or should I keep what I have now, it currently is running VY06.

Thanks for helping me.

Using the CG3E (832s) Firmware should give you better quality +R burns, there is also a new DRU 700a firmware out VY08 which i am currently running on my 851s because it gives me slightly better quality burns with -R discs which in the UK is about all i can get apart from cheap +R which is no good, so if you want better +R burns go with GC3E if you want better -R burns go with VY08, but if your already getting decent burns and you arent burning on the very latest media and by that i mean 16x and +R DL media (because new firmware offers support for newer media) then just stick with what youve got, dont fix it if it aint broke

Additionally, remember that flashing to Liteon firmware does void your warranty. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. :wink:

I have no problems with anything I burn… I am using 4X +R media. I haven’t gotten any 8X or dual layer discs, perhaps when I do it might be time to upgrade to the latest firmware. But as for now, everything is fine and plays perfectly in my DVD player.

So it’s not broke, and I won’t fix it. :slight_smile: Thanks for your help!

Hi all,

just wanted to share some nice results with Sony DRU-700A and the new firmware VY08 (stock), coupled with some nice 8x TDK media :slight_smile:

Not bad, I would say… probably amongst the best results ever seen with this Sony drive?