Sony DRU-700 (dual layer) picture and pricing information available

I just posted the article Sony DRU-700 (dual layer) picture and pricing information available.

The French hardware site Clubic has posted information about Sony's upcoming dual  layer (DVD+R9), dual format DVD recorder with modelname DRU-700. Writing dual layers will  enable the drive to...
Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/7815-Sony-DRU-700-dual-layer-picture-and-pricing-information-available.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/7815-Sony-DRU-700-dual-layer-picture-and-pricing-information-available.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

That’s not a bad price. :slight_smile:

And I guess that this price will continuously go down within a few months.

Maybe you can buy me one Joerg if it drops enough? :wink:
[edited by Crabbyappleton on 24.02.2004 16:36]

I think this will be a Lite On unit because Lite On now manufactures for Sony (Sony no longer makes their own drives)

I for one am very interested in how long it will take all this technology to work properly when released. We have alreaqy heard of a number of problems with dual-layer recording as to the layers being filled etc so let’s hope this stuff will work without having to await 4 or 5 firmware upgrades. lol :r Even on full movie discs over 8.5 GB where you have to encode it would only be for a very small amount so just hack IC8’s reg settings for a tiny 5 miniute transcode to get it all on the disc! :B Can’t wait IF it works is all I can say.

LiteOn will produce only single layer burners for Sony at this moment. This dual layer burner will be completely “sony”

There are no single sided dual layer DVDs “over 8.5 GB”. The capacity of DVD+R9 is the same as a pressed dual layer DVD which is just 8.5 GB.

Should the price really be 200 €, I’ll be the first to buy one.

its gonna be to little to late guys,they have waited to long to release this type of recording format to the general public.with E-DVD waiting in to be released,dual layered disk will soon become a dead format.E-DVD will have the capability to record over 20gb on a single disk.new movies will also be released on this format making the picture,sound,and disk content far more superior to anything we have ever seen.AND BACK TO SQUARE ONE FOR COPYING THEM ALSO I RECKON.:wink:

I do not see the purpose in releasing this Dual Layer DVD burner. The blank disc size of 8.5 GB is still smaller than consumer release DVDs. Therefore you will still not be able to make a 1:1 copy of a pressed DVD movie. The current state of copying pressed DVDs to 4.7 GB requires a compromise in the audio encoding of the movie i.e. cbr mp2 vs. cbr PCM audio. I do not think the feature of dual layer burning will be widely used, for instance LG electronics have DVDRW drives that can burn to DVD Ram.The lack of stand alone DVD player compatibility as well as price,has caaused DVD Ram to not be widely used by consumers. Burning to a dual layer DVD would be a good selling point if the drive were able to write to the disc at 8x. You are giving up performance for increased space. The current limitation is disc compatibility with stand alone DVD players,I am sure dual layer DVDs will have anther set of problems.

errr as someone else posted here, the blank dual layer discs are the same size as consumer release dvd’s. It’s not 9.4 gig like some people think it is. I have yet to see a movie that is more than 8.5 gigs, in fact they max out around 7-8, and why is that? Because the disc size goes up to 8.5 gig.

Quote: “The current state of copying pressed DVDs to 4.7 GB requires a compromise in the audio encoding of the movie i.e. cbr mp2 vs. cbr PCM audio” Erm, no. That’s wrong I’m afraid. None of the current software alters audio quality AT ALL (the exact same AC-3 or DTS audio is copied unaltered). It’s VIDEO quality that is reduced through further compression of the MPEG2 stream. Although, many people choose instead to eliminate the ‘extras’ first before altering video quality, and this is sufficient enough for a good percentage of films.

Since the capacity of DUAL LAYER blanks is identical to pressed discs, I see this as a big seller. Just look at how popular DVD writers have become even though backing up a film is FAR from a one-click process (removing features, adding extra compression etc.). Just think now that the process will now become ‘one-click’ (because of the elimination of the size difference between pressed and blank discs).