Sony DRU-530A firmware upgrade issues

Hi there,

I recently ran into some issues with burning with my DRU-530A. I suspect it has to do with that silly Sony DRM software that they are getting sued over, but that’s besides the point. (It was working fine before I installed Sony’s Connect software - their version of iTunes). Anyway, I wanted to try flashing my firmware. Now I’ve done it before using a flash utility and a bin file. However, when I went to Sony’s website to get the latest one, I noticed it’s an executable. The same format that the DB’s use for their region-free firmware. My problem is that every time I try to use it (Or DB’s), it tells me I need to reboot. So I reboot, and then as soon as I log in, it tries to open up some odd file. It’s a little difficult to explain, but basically, after I log in to Windows, a dialog box pops up asking me what program I would like to use to open up “Document” and that’s it. I hit cancel, the computer boots up as normal, and rinse repeat. I saw that link for the other flash utility that works for Opterite drives, but that requires a bin file in order to use. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Anyone have any ideas on this one?

Looks like the updater left something behind that auto starts when you log on. Take the autoruns utility from sysinternals and check if it finds a file that is named “Document” in the Logon tab.

Ah cool. Thanks for the suggestion. I forgot to mention that the firmware does NOT update when I try it, but I figured that was a given. :stuck_out_tongue: