Sony DRU-530A Firmware 2.0A Problem

vbimport

I thought I’d chime in & share my experience with this 2.0A Firmware upgrade.

My drive was absolutely flawless before the 2.0A upgrade. I’ve burned 50+ Memorex & Sony DVD+R media during the past two months without a coaster.

Before this upgrade, I’d done the 1.0C & 1.0D upgrades without a hitch. This 2.0A upgrade reduced my Write speed down to 1x on everything. My DVD to DVD recordings used to take about 15 minutes to Write. Now they take over an hour.

Sony’s Tech Support recommended I downgrade to 1.0D. If that doesn’t work, they’re going to RMA the drive.

The information noted is intended solely to share my personal experience with this upgrade & to let some of you know what may occur with your upgrade.

For those of you interested in providing feedback and/or suggestions, my system specs are listed below.

AMD Athlon XP 2000+
512MB PC3200 Corsair
ATI Radeon VIVO 64MB
XP Pro
Sony DRU-530A

Hey djnsmith7, I have a similar issue.
I have upgradet the firmware from 1.0c to 2.0 and know I am creating coasters, 1 of 5 are good copies. Thanks for the info… Will downgrade to 1.0d.

P4 Intel
1gig Corsair Mem
Sony DRU-530a Rev2.0
Unknown DVC Media?

Here is an update:

I downgraded to 1.0D and my problems are gone, for the most part. I have not tested the Write speed of my Memorex 4x DVD+R discs yet, but I have tested some new Verbatim 4x DVD+R discs Writing at the fast speed I had before.

If you decide to upgrade to 2.0A & experience any problems whatsoever, I highly recommend you downgrade immediately. If you need 1.0D, I’d be happy to email it to you.

I will post another update once I’ve had a chance to test my Memorex 4x DVD+R discs again. I’m guessing I won’t experience any issues with those discs.

I have this burner, but cannot flash the firmware. I hope you don’t mind me posting my question in this thread, but did you have any issues getting it to flash? When I run the flash .exe to go to 2.0a from 1.0c it keeps telling me to restart my computer before I can do the update, but will never allow me to update the firmware. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Shawn

To answer your question, the answer is no, I did not have any problems flashing the drive. You have to make sure you’re following Sony’s directions very carefully, step by step.

My problems started after the drive was flashed. My DVD+R Write speed dropped to 1x after the drive was flashed. I personally don’t recommend upgrading to the 2.0A update. I recommend using 1.0d, which is what I’m currently using.

I hope this has answered your questions.

Sony’s Tech Support recommended I downgrade to 1.0D. If that doesn’t work, they’re going to RMA the drive.

Hi, I have the same burner and I have been askinfg for how to downgrade my burner because I have problems with it.
can you tell me how do you downgrade the burner, please?.
Right now I have the 2.0f and I would like to have the 1.0d
Thank you

I’m guessing you meant you are using 2.0A, not 2.0f. That doesn’t really matter though.

The process to downgrade to 1.0D is the same as upgrading to 2.0A. That’s the one thing I like about upgrading or downgrading Sony’s firmware. The process is the same in either direction.

When you get to the final screen, it asks you to verify the upgrade / downgrade. It also displays the firmware version your drive will have once the process is complete. You just have to read the screens carefully.

I recommend you go back to Sony’s website & print out the step by step instructions given right next to the firmware download. I used those step by step instructions for all of my firmware activity.

Actually you are part right, the upgrade that I have is 1.0F…
you can see it here;
http://sony.storagesupport.com/dvdrw/dru510adwn.htm#dwns

so, I just have to run it like when I upgrade the driver, but where do I find the 1.0D?, if you can tell me because at the sony site I just see the 1.0f upgrade.
Thank you for the help.

Caraloca, I’m not sure which is the case, but either the firmware you linked to isn’t for your drive, if you have the DRU-530A or you don’t have the same drive as we do. Similar model, so firmware upgrading/downgrading would probably be the same, but that firmware is for the DRU-510A. If you have the same drive as we do, that might be part of the problems you are having, that the firmware you flashed isn’t for the model of drive you have. I’m not sure if that’s possible, but I would think it could be done…
You can find previous versions of firmware by searching on this page…

Firmware search by model number

Shawn

Originally posted by shawn711
[B]Caraloca, I’m not sure which is the case, but either the firmware you linked to isn’t for your drive, if you have the DRU-530A or you don’t have the same drive as we do. Similar model, so firmware upgrading/downgrading would probably be the same, but that firmware is for the DRU-510A. If you have the same drive as we do, that might be part of the problems you are having, that the firmware you flashed isn’t for the model of drive you have. I’m not sure if that’s possible, but I would think it could be done…
You can find previous versions of firmware by searching on this page…

Firmware search by model number

Shawn [/B]

Yes you are right, mine is a sony dru-510a. Sorry about the interruption, please , ignore my post.
But still I want to downgrade the firmware because the one I have is not good. :smiley: :smiley:
I will check in that site
thank you

Have any one of you tried the new firmware? 2.0c

http://www.sony.jp/products/Consumer/Peripheral/Datastorage/Support/common/fw530a20c.exe

Is it still have the same problem as 2.0a?

No, I have not tried the 2.0C Firmware because I have no reason to. My drive is working flawlessly using the 1.0D Firmware. The one thing I’ve learned from experience with this drive is, if it’s working fine, don’t mess with it.

Besides, I could care less about DVD-R media anyway.

Has anyone tried the following combination for backing up DVD’s? I have made 4 coasters in a row using these Memorex printables (I bought 100 spindle). It always fails when it is closing the disc. I have had complete success with Imation DVD-R’s and this is the first time my drive has failed to make a copy (4 times in a row).

I have upgraded to 2.0a and I am about to try my first burn with the new firmware, and the Memorex printable DVD-R’s.

Just wondering if any of you have had the same problem with the Memorex printables or if it’s the firmware?

I’m also using DVD X Copy Platinum.

Any help would be appreciated. PLEASE HELP??

It’s probably the firmware,did you try another brand of dvd-r?? I use Memorex in my Sony (DRU-500a) with no problems.Incidentally,my firmware is 2.0f,but that’s not for you,go to the Sony site…Good Luck

Guys I ran into the same problem backing up dvd’s. I have the Sony 530a and was using firmware 1.0f and it was working great…then i upgraded the firmware to 2.x and it works like crap and I get more coasters than anything…my question is where can I find another 1.0f firmware? I see everything but that one…can someone point me in the right direction?

these boards must have quieted down a lot since I used to post here. I remember being able to post a message and get replies within hours. Must be the summer …everyone on vacations

You got lucky.

Here is the right direction, some 1.0X links still work: http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=1719

Im trying to burn some dvdrs i have on my computer with some new ritek dvd+r 4x media i just got (100 spindle). I have waisted like 6 dvds now i keep gettin errors. This is the error i get on record now dx (similar in dvd decrypter) I might have gotten a bad batch of dvd+rs… I have a sony dru-530a and am using the 2.1a firmware. Im gonna try 2.1b and then 1.0d to see if that fixes it…

EDIT: 1.0D Still gave me the error! So I got 2.1b… Or what firmware do u gyus recomend? So far i have only had one good burn out of this spindle. I have waisted about 10 now.

djnsmith: Where do you get the 1.0d firmware? Can you e-mail it to me to gilbertopalau@gmail.com ? thanks

i can tell you this much something is wrong i to upgraded my 530a and had nothing but problems, when using nero the buffer graph would bounce back and forth fro 90% to 0% called sony chewed some butt sent it in had to wait a week and a half cause they were all out and they sent me a new drive so far so good so they have some kind of problem.

hope this helps