Hello, I recantly baught my DRU510A, after getting it home and installed it, I started hitting all the usuall problems you hear about with this drive, I have since then totaly resolved my problems and in my technical view these are the requirements you need in effect to have success with this drive:
1) Drive correctly instated as a master or slave on a DMA100 or better IDE controller with 80pin conductor cable, enabled in the bios and the OS.
2) Fully working Hard disk capable of sustained data transfer.
3) Fully working system & OS (xp/2k) to boot (doesnt need to be a monster, id trust my friends little duron to the task anyday)
4) Up to date ASPI layer
5) Up to date firmware Version: 1.0G, NOTE: Intel Application accelerator must be uninstalled to update the firmware on the drive hosted under a Intel chipset.
6) Good quality media -um highly important-
I had no end of problems with the dreded PRINCO (purple), switched to TDK's 4x and every singal dvd I've backed up since has been perfect in every way.
btw: Ive seen yellow princo (not my own) that where perfect.
other note: If you're burning highly compressed /shrunken dvds use ONLY 4x+, you can some times get away with 2x if its not been compressed to fit 4.3gb, it only makes sense the playing drive needs to be able to read the data quicker if there is more of it in the compression in order to play with out gerky image quality/out of sync sound, therfore the discs need to be burned at a suitable speed.
hope my little experences help.