Sony DRU-500A and troubles with Princo 1-4X

vbimport

I have just bought some Princo and they just don't like my DRU-500A, it seems. I have used two different firmware 2f and 2h and neither like the discs. the problem is that when i amd using nero it will not complete the lead0in and then it give an error message. I have been through three disks with teh dame problem.

Is this a common problem? is there a work around? or is this unusual and never heard of.

Thanks

For the most part Princo aren’t that good to start with.
Have you got a chance to try a different quality disc? That would let you know if it’s the media or not.
You could also try burning with a different program to determine if it’s a Nero problem.

One last option is trying to use different IDE drivers. GL.

I used the princo’s with nero and they died at 4X’s. I tried a pioneer at 4x and it worked. I then tried alcohol, it ended up changing the speed to 2x and they worked. I went back to nero and tried 2x and it worked. therefore my setup does not like using princo’s @ 4x (they are rated at 1-4x).

Princo media are crap (in 90% of the cases) and have problems with many DVD writers. As your situation clearly shows, some devices only can writ to certain media at speeds lower rated than they are sold fore. Pioneer writers are known for their great compatibilty with more or less exotic media (Princo itsself isn’t that exotic, but the always changing brand underneath is). Thing is, the quality of these media isn’t very constant… so if your burns are succesful, it could well be that the discs are full of errors, or they will degrade pretty fast. Too bad…

If you are having problems with princos such as “Power Calibration Errors”, it could be the firmware you’re using. Apparently alot of people flash the DW-U10/12A’s as a DRU500A, this usually leads to lower compatibility with CD/DVDR media. So you’ll be sacrificing quality for speed. If it is an original Sony DRU500A i’d suggest rolling back to the Sony DRU-500A 1.0F or the DW-U10 1.1C firmware. You might want to consider that if not, look forward to a new burner.

Originally posted by xcalibur
[B]I have just bought some Princo and they just don’t like my DRU-500A, it seems. I have used two different firmware 2f and 2h and neither like the discs. the problem is that when i amd using nero it will not complete the lead0in and then it give an error message. I have been through three disks with teh dame problem.

Is this a common problem? is there a work around? or is this unusual and never heard of.

Thanks [/B]

I learned my lesson: never buy any Princo media.

Gotta love re-branded stuff. :stuck_out_tongue: