SONY DRU-190A (Lite-On 20A3P) Possibly $19.98 at Staples on BF

Has anyone tested this drive and have a scan to see if it writes okay- how can I flash it to a lite-on???

[QUOTE=scotton;1939219]Has anyone tested this drive and have a scan to see if it writes okay- how can I flash it to a lite-on???[/QUOTE]

Just flash with Codekings firmware.

[QUOTE=nickyboy4;1939545]Just flash with Codekings firmware.[/QUOTE]

I thought I would need a utility to crossflash from a sony DRU-190 to a lite-on 203AP??
Can I use OMNIpatcher to crossflash this drive. I am doing a search of the forum. Thanks .

Has anyone been able to flash this drive with the liteOn firmware?
I downloaded the firmware from The Codeguys.rpc1.org (20A3P.XP5Z.stock.exe) When I execited it with the Sony DRU-190A being the only physical drive I have in my system, I received this message:
"No matching drives detected. This firmware is only for a ATAPI DVD A DH20A3P.

I even downloaded the firmware from the firmware page (XP5Z.exe) and tried executing it and received the following message:
Detected Drive: Sony DVD RW DRU-190A 1.61.

Anyone had any suscess?

TIA

[QUOTE=scotton;1939678]I thought I would need a utility to crossflash from a sony DRU-190 to a lite-on 203AP??
Can I use OMNIpatcher to crossflash this drive. I am doing a search of the forum. Thanks .[/QUOTE]

I do not think I was given the correct info on how to crossflash from a sony dru-190a to a lite-on 20a3p. If anyone has the correct way to accomplish this-please let me know. There was an article in chinese but I could read it.
Thanks.

Use the Flash Utility.

The flash utility doesn’t work with the .exe. Probably need to have the .bin. Anyone know where I can get the firmware as a .bin. Tried using the codeguys xflash still doesn’t work.

What happens when you try to load the EXE through Flash Utility?

[QUOTE=wallace0134;1965130]What happens when you try to load the EXE through Flash Utility?[/QUOTE]

The flash utility indicates that it is looking for a .bin. By the way I’ve downloaded the latest version of these utilities from the codeguy’s link.

bump

I had the Optiarc version (7190A) of this drive and used LtnFlash 2.5.52 to install a stock 20A3P exe. firmware first and then installed various test and patched 20A3P FWs.

Got it.
@scotton any anyone that bought the Sony drive at Staples.
Here’s how to do it.
(1) Download the Flash Utility v2.2.2 from the codeguys web site.
(2) From the same site download the firmware for LiteOn DH-20A3P “20A3P.XP5Z.stock.exe”
(3) Make sure the drive is hooked up.
(4) Double click the Flash Utility. You will see the drive model displayed. There are two buttons. First the “read flash” button when selected will make a back up copy of the original firmware that came with the sony to your harddrive. By default the file name displayed for saving is 1.61. I just named it “DRU-190Av1.61”. The flash utility will save it as a .bin file.
(5) Next is the “write flash” button. This button is to write the LiteOn firmware to the Sony drive. Point to the “20A3P.XP5Z.stock.exe” file that you downloaded and make sure you select "executable File (*.exe) under type.
(6) That’s it. Oh I also selected “update Boot code”. Some where on this forum if you do a search for “update Boot code” the codeguy indicated the by default the flash utility does it anyway, but he recommends to check “update boot code”.
(7) In windows the drive is displayed as "ATAPI DH-20A3P XP5Z.

Hope this helps all that are interested in flashing their drives.
Good luck.

So has anyone burned movie dvds with this yet? I have successfully burned a few game images with it but it fails each time I’ve tried to burn movies with CloneDVD2 and Nero 8. I have only used on type of media so far (Philips DVD+R by CMC; I can’t recall the speed and I’m not at home to give you more id for the media.) I have only had the drive for a couple of days, but I am going to try more media over the weekend. Anyone get positive results, and do you have media suggestions?

This drive has worked flawlessly for me after the crossflash. Most of my burns have been at 12x with +R verbs and TY TO2’s so maybe its a media thing. I have also burned cd’s and data dvd’s without any issues as well.
budzos

[QUOTE=iamsam909;1966441]Got it.
@scotton any anyone that bought the Sony drive at Staples.
Here’s how to do it.
(1) Download the Flash Utility v2.2.2 from the codeguys web site.
(2) From the same site download the firmware for LiteOn DH-20A3P “20A3P.XP5Z.stock.exe”
(3) Make sure the drive is hooked up.
(4) Double click the Flash Utility. You will see the drive model displayed. There are two buttons. First the “read flash” button when selected will make a back up copy of the original firmware that came with the sony to your harddrive. By default the file name displayed for saving is 1.61. I just named it “DRU-190Av1.61”. The flash utility will save it as a .bin file.
(5) Next is the “write flash” button. This button is to write the LiteOn firmware to the Sony drive. Point to the “20A3P.XP5Z.stock.exe” file that you downloaded and make sure you select "executable File (*.exe) under type.
(6) That’s it. Oh I also selected “update Boot code”. Some where on this forum if you do a search for “update Boot code” the codeguy indicated the by default the flash utility does it anyway, but he recommends to check “update boot code”.
(7) In windows the drive is displayed as "ATAPI DH-20A3P XP5Z.

Hope this helps all that are interested in flashing their drives.
Good luck.[/QUOTE]

THANKS I will try it soon and let you know if the cross flash went okay.

budzos,

what is the software and method that you’ve used? I just tried a Verbatim DVD+R 16x MCC004, which is said to be good in this forum. The old media I had used turned out to be CMC MAG01, which I’ve read is not good at all.

I tried to get CloneDVD2 to burn a movie at 6x with the MCC004 but no dice. I have done the crossflash. I would like to try exactly what you tried, including mods to the drive or software and your methods for shutting down programs before burning, etc.

thanks!

jgerds

[QUOTE=jgerds;1969647]budzos,

what is the software and method that you’ve used? I just tried a Verbatim DVD+R 16x MCC004, which is said to be good in this forum. The old media I had used turned out to be CMC MAG01, which I’ve read is not good at all.

I tried to get CloneDVD2 to burn a movie at 6x with the MCC004 but no dice. I have done the crossflash. I would like to try exactly what you tried, including mods to the drive or software and your methods for shutting down programs before burning, etc.

thanks!

jgerds[/QUOTE]

Quick suggestion if you don’t mind:

Check your device manager, hardware, IDE controllers, secondary IDE controller, properties, advanced properties, to see if Ultra DMA 4 is the current transfer mode for your DVD burner (the exact method of doing this varies depending on your operating system). The drive may have reverted to PIO mode - a fairly common problem - google something like “DMA reverts to PIO” for details. Uninstall the IDE (secondary?) channel and restart the PC to reinstall it, if it has reverted to PIO mode.

toobad,

thanks for the suggestion. I checked on that a while back:

Primary IDE Channel
Ultra DMA Mode 6

Secondary IDE Channel
Ultra DMA Mode 2

[QUOTE=jgerds;1969740]toobad,

thanks for the suggestion. I checked on that a while back:

Primary IDE Channel
Ultra DMA Mode 6

Secondary IDE Channel
Ultra DMA Mode 2[/QUOTE]

Wonder why only Ultra DMA Mode 2? Is that the controller that the cross-flashed DRU-190A is on?

I think that’s the controller the dvd drive is on. I’m going to get some 80 wire IDE cables tomorrow. This drive is on a 40 and that might be a contributing factor.

And I thank you again for your responses.