SONY disappears and disguises!

I have a Sony DVD (model DRU-820A) RW …6 or 5 months ago it was disappearing and appearing from My Computer (I use Windows XP) …but when it appears it was working well.
I thought there’s something wrong with its firmware…so i decided to update it from 1.0b to 1.0c and the SHOW BEGINS here…besides disappearing and appearing ,my freaky DVD-RW decided to disguise …i’m serious. When i r-click on it-when it’s there in My Com.-in the tab >>Hardware,it exactly looks like that (SONI DFD RG DRE-(2 A)…and the funniest part here that it has another name in the Motherboard (A FOXCONN 945 MB)exactly like that (TvT RWO DRU=820Q 00) .
Wat is DFD or Tvt? honestly i dunno. It should b DVD that’s all i know.

Actually i don’t have any problems with the new names…BUT my DVD stopped working …when i put a cd or dvd ,it freezes the whole PC.

i tried many solutions and nothing works.like:-

-I tried to roll back the firmware update.(i couldn’t)
-i tried from Device Manager to change the driver, it works only once.
-i tried to reinstall the firmware update…it just come with a message (The Drive is not allowed to be updated)
-i tried to downgrade the firmware to 1.0b but it didn’t come with the message in the same time the update progress bar did not move for about 2 or 3 hours -usually the update process takes 2 or 3 minutes-.

it can’t read or write any cd or dvd.

Plz if u have any kind of suggestions let me know

Hi there, welcome to CDF :slight_smile:

First thing I’d do, if you haven’t already, is change the flat IDE cable for a fresh one.

The name appearing all weird is a classic symptom of a bad cable (the data from the drive isn’t reaching the motherboard correctly).

Give it a shot. :wink:

Hi [B]Enigma885[/B], welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

Another common cause of garbled device names is having two devices on the same cable that are both running as Master or both running as Slave, so I suggest to check the jumper settings on the drives attached to that cable if there’s more than one.

Although i have checked the IDE cable a while ago…but i rechecked and replaced it with another one…

[B][I]Surprisingly[/I][/B] (for me) it worked and the DVD name is now displayed properly (SONY DVD RW DRU-820A SCSI CdRom Device) may b the last part appeared because i thought it’s an ASPI problem …so i downloaded Adaptec ASPI check and nothing was there…so i downloaded ForceASPI- actually it’s a hack to Adaptic ASPI - (Is there another reason for that??)

REALLY thanx for ur help (FREAKS) :slight_smile:

btw i see in my DVD manual the recommended connections of the DVD…one of them is to connect the HDD with DVD on the same IDE cable (the HDD in the end of the cable and the DVD in the secondary slot)
But to make sth like that i have to fold the cable over itself…which i assume is not healthy atall …any comments??