Sony debuts 8x Blu-ray burner drive

vbimport

Here’s the announcement on Sony’s newest generation Blu-Ray Disc (BD) writer, the BWU-300S! The drive can burn up to 8X speed, recording a full 25 GB disc (video, data, music or images) in 15 minutes and a full 50GB disc in about thirty minutes (4X speed on BD-R DL).

SONY DEBUTS 8X BLU-RAY DISC WRITER DRIVE
Sub-$400 Model Leaps Ahead in Recording Speed;
Includes Blu-Ray Disc Movie Title “Men In Black”

<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = ST1 /><ST1:PLACE w:st=“on”><ST1:CITY w:st=“on”>SAN JOSE</ST1:CITY>, <ST1:STATE w:st=“on”>Calif.</ST1:STATE></ST1:PLACE>, Sept. 23, 2008 – Sony Electronicstoday announced its third generation internal Blu-ray Discâ„¢ (BD) writer for the computer aftermarket, which at about $400 achieves a new level of affordability for BD enthusiasts.

The new BWU-300S model burns single and dual layer BD-R media at up to 8X speed, recording a full 25GB disc in about 15 minutes and a full 50GB disc in about 30 minutes. The 8X recording speed is achieved using 6X compatible BD-R media. The drive also records DVDs at up to 16X, CDs up to 48X, and supports DVD-RAM recording, with an eye towards data backup, making it an excellent replacement burner for a standard DVD drive while offering all the benefits of Blu-ray Disc technology.
<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:P></O:P>

Full press release: http://news.sel.sony.com/en/press_room/consumer/computer_peripheral/storage_sol_others/release/37504.html

Specs: http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665491094

Nice Zevi, wonder if this is the same as the Buffalo drive? Is it actually a Panasonic?

I was about to ask if we have any info about the chipset that this drive is using.
It would be nice to be a nec based drive?

which at about $400

any Sony still doesn’t get it, who is going to pay $400 for it, when you can get 6x burner for $220

this thing should be $250 max

Sony is usually a little more expensive on their ODD’s but considering the Buffalo drive is $370 it’s really not that much more.

But I see where your coming from, $150 more for 8x is pretty high.

Look on the bright side maybe the 6x burners will take a drop in price :wink:

[QUOTE=nekrosoft13;2131208]any Sony still doesn’t get it, who is going to pay $400 for it, when you can get 6x burner for $220

this thing should be $250 max[/QUOTE]

Pricey, but would look good in my recent build. :slight_smile:

:cool::cool:

Good News :clap:
got more choice BD burner :iagree:

Doubt it’s the pansonic seeing the Panasonic can burn BD-R-DL at 8x
http://homepage2.nifty.com/yss/sw5584/sw5584_bdr2ben.htm
Sony lists 4x for that format on this drive.

Compared to the LG.
Well the Panasonic is 33% faster at 8x(P-CAV as the LG at 6x (were 6x hardly is faster as 4x thanks to CAV vs CLV)

If sony optimized the P-CAV strategy further it might be even faster.

Also the sony comes with Men In Black movie on Blu Ray.

COmpared to the buffalo and taking into account that sony can ask a bit more because of there name and the fact that the price in the advertisement is allways slighly higher as the price on the streets.
This results in a ok price for now, but then again we all would want it cheaper. :slight_smile:

I am wondering if those are wrong :confused:

I am finding conflicting information.

It says 4x DL DVDHERE

BUT it says 8x DVD DL in the PDF HERE

[QUOTE=dakhaas;2132130]Doubt it’s the pansonic seeing the Panasonic can burn BD-R-DL at 8x
http://homepage2.nifty.com/yss/sw5584/sw5584_bdr2ben.htm
Sony lists 4x for that format on this drive.

Compared to the LG.
Well the Panasonic is 33% faster at 8x(P-CAV as the LG at 6x (were 6x hardly is faster as 4x thanks to CAV vs CLV)

If sony optimized the P-CAV strategy further it might be even faster.

COmpared to the buffalo and taking into account that sony can ask a bit more because of there name and the fact that the price in the advertisement is allways slighly higher as the price on the streets.
This results in a ok price for now, but then again we all would want it cheaper. :)[/QUOTE]

I also noticed that it’s limited to 2x on dye based blu RAY (LTH).
You would think that they also would try to improve the burn speed on those, because a lot of manufacturers are thinking about switching to them, because they are cheaper to produce.
Then again, I think for now only 2x LTH media exists.

I think you’re right, I only know of two brands, Taiyo Yuden and Mitsubishi, that make LTH BD-R and both only do 2X LTH.

Mitsubishi (and JVC) actually buy there LTH BD-R from TY.

MBI has a LTH disc.
And Mitsubishi does have a own LTH disc in the works.

But the only ones available all seem to be made by TY.

Who’s the OEM on these drives, is it a Panasonic or a NEC/Optiarc - I’ve read that it’s the later? I’m trying to determine whether it supports bitsetting and how to enable it ?

When the LG first came out it was also 500.00USD, and that was not too long ago. This too will come down quickly in price. I really would like to have a closer look at this drive, I will wait for the review.

It’s official, it’s a panasonic oem and the drive finally seems to be available in Europe in limited supplies.

Thanks for this information dakhaas!

Let us know if you see the pricing on this unit.

[QUOTE=dakhaas;2180965]It’s official, it’s a panasonic oem and the drive finally seems to be available in Europe in limited supplies.[/QUOTE]