Sony DCR-SR55E: cannot delete videoclips using USB connection

I’ve tried two ways to delete files on the camera using the usb connection:

1. Using the PMB utility “hdd handycam utility”: This does not show the icon “Delete Media Files from Handycam”, so deleting is not possible although the manual states this should work.

2. When trying to delete via windows xp explorer thw result is: "The disk is write protected.

I’m using PBM V4.2.10 and Win XP SP2.

The only way to delete files is via the touch screen of the camera.

Does anybody have the same problem? any ideas??

…In the mean time i have got an answer from SONY, tellning me that it is only possible to copy video files from the camera [B]TO[/B] the computer via the USB conection.
It is[B] NOT[/B] possible to delete video clips via the computer.
Hmmm… Seems i really have to delete the files via the camera touchscreen.

It seems like Sony is not the only one that does this. I’ve used a JVC HDD based camcorder (can’t think of the model off hand) and while its hard disk appears as a mass storage drive on the PC, it is write protected. Like with your camcorder, files can only be deleted through the camcorder itself.

I’m not sure off hand why these camcorders do this, considering most Digital cameras connected via USB allow photos to be removed by the PC or even put back on to the camera.

The only workaround I can think of is to get a fair size Memory Stick card (e.g. 8GB) and use this as your main recording medium and only use the hard disk when you need more recording space, such as on vacation, recording an event, etc. Then use a memory card reader to move the footage to your PC. With the JVC camcorder I used, it functioned identical whether recording on its HDD or memory card, so this is worth checking with the Sony.

[QUOTE=CeSium;2283696]…In the mean time i have got an answer from SONY, tellning me that it is only possible to copy video files from the camera [B]TO[/B] the computer via the USB conection.
It is[B] NOT[/B] possible to delete video clips via the computer.
Hmmm… Seems i really have to delete the files via the camera touchscreen.[/QUOTE]

And this is a problem because…?

Well…for one thing, selecting a bunch of files via the explorer works a lot easier as tipping each and every file on the touchscreen.
It is not such a big deal if you want to select “delete all videos”, but if you really want to delete a subset, previewing and selecting would be much easier via the computer…
Anyway…The touchscreen seems to be the only option…

I have the SX40, I really dont take too many videos, but now I do see your point.