Sony D21 MIM at Costco 200 for 30 bucks

vbimport

Hi,

First Post.
I bought 2 100 pk spindles of Sony DVD+R & DVD-R for 30 bucks. The package says Made in Malaysia. The DVD-R’s are coded, SONY16D1 but the R’s are D21.

Aren’t the SONY D21 supposed to be made in Taiwan? If so, I am concerned about bothering with codes if they are not accurate.

[QUOTE=pmdiaz23;2543129]Hi,

First Post.
I bought 2 100 pk spindles of Sony DVD+R & DVD-R for 30 bucks. The package says Made in Malaysia. The DVD-R’s are coded, SONY16D1 but the R’s are D21.

Aren’t the SONY D21 supposed to be made in Taiwan? If so, I am concerned about bothering with codes if they are not accurate.[/QUOTE]

Actually, during the last year or so of Daxon manufacture the Sony D21s were made in both Taiwan and Malaysia. But since Sony’s primary subcontractor for blank recordable DVDs, Daxon, exited the media business completely, new shipments of both the 16D1 and the D21 should be MIT once again - and this time, made by Ritek using the Sony codes.

Thus, any leftover MIM DVDs sold under the Sony brand name are leftover warehouse stock.

Thanks for the quick reply. So where does one find this info?
FYI, I am okay with this purchase. I’ll be using these discs for scrap stuff and Verbatim for archiving. I was just curious about the D21 and wondered about picking up more if they were actual Taiwan made.

[QUOTE=pmdiaz23;2543137]Thanks for the quick reply. So where does one find this info?
FYI, I am okay with this purchase. I’ll be using these discs for scrap stuff and Verbatim for archiving. I was just curious about the D21 and wondered about picking up more if they were actual Taiwan made.[/QUOTE]

The hub manufacturing codes - not the stamper codes - are the key.

Thanks. This is a bit confusing right now. I just came across this site and a few others after a search. I’ll have to find the time to read up. From what I see, not a lot of tools for my mac. I own Toast but not sure it gets enough info!

So I did some burns and tested them with a trial version of Opti Drive Control and Nero CDSpeed. The test came back positive. My question is, if stored and handle properly, are these discs safe for the long run?