Sony D11 scan - two months old!

vbimport

Here’s a disc I backed up from one of my mum’s originals…she says she had the backup stored on a shelf, in a slim jewel case (vertically). The disc has never been taken out, since it’s a backup.

After she said she had problems when she decided to test it, I thought I’d scan it on a BenQ 1650. It was burned @ the rated 8x with an LG4163B, IIRC.

It’s only 2 months or so old…what do you guys make of this? :eek:

Was it MIT, MIJ, MIA or MIL?
MIA media has a distinctive hub with barcodes.

Ive got some D11 sony branded. They are MIA with the barcoded serials. If i press really hard against the edge of the disc the purple dye stains my fingers.

Which for me indicates that there is a bonding problem.

I havn’t actually noticed any degrading problems. The media was just as bad when it was first burned 4 months ago.

Can’t remember where they were made, but they were AccuCORE labelled.

There is a barcode on the bub of the disc, and a number: ARP5GB D0033

Hope that helps! :slight_smile:

Ouch @ the dye thing, chancooluk :eek::eek:

My Sony 16x DVD+R discs have a DRP5GG0001 hub code, and they should be MIA.
I haven’t had experienced bonding problems with those (yet), but I still better copy my MSDN discs.
I thought MIA would be better but it seems that MIT or MIJ are infact better.

No clear inner hub serial? That would rule out MIT by Daxon and MIJ I think.

But yeah, I’ve never trusted Sony media much, especially the MIT by Daxon stuff. Bad bonding, average burn quality, poor climatic stability (according to C’t, but we don’t know the country of origin of their media).

Those were the only numbers (as well as the barcode) on the hub.

I went shopping earlier, to the place I bought them, and had a look on packs of +R, which were the same as the pack I bought. There is no COO on them whatsoever.

:slight_smile:

I think that would indicate that you have MIA media on your hands… not 100% sure though.

Your results are a bit dissapointing, as I was hoping MIA would perform better than the MIT crap we see everywhere.

I’d say it looks fairly likely. And yes, the results are extremely disappointing, considering it was burned with one of the best burners I own.

Actually, the burner that burns these best, out of the ones I have, is the BenQ 1650.

But I’m still shocked at the scan after only 2 months. I’ve told my mum to put the disc away, in its jewel case, so I can scan it again in say a month’s time.

Not suprising. Seeing how bad sony disc’s performed in accelerate ageing tests like C’t and Sony saying they will take meassures to improve the media’s quality.

Wow, thanks for the information, dakhaas :slight_smile:

where can i find C’t accelerate ageing test document?

Tell me about it. After holding one of the discs for a while while i was writing on it i looked at my fingers and had purple lines on them. I was like…WTF

Ewww. I can honestly say that’s never happened to me - and yours is the first case I’ve heard of, as well! :eek:

Not even oft-blamed TY discs should be so bad.
I better get rid of my three leftover MIA SONY D11s (which I bought in 5 pcs slimcase “Color Disc” packs) and five MIA SONY D21s…

My D11s were from a 5 colour slimcase pack, too :eek:…and yeah, I’m trying to think what I can do with the remaining ones now :bigsmile:

Yeah, they looked nice, didn’t they - but somehow I resisted :slight_smile: . Never bought Sony DVDR’s and this isn’t a good reference. Riteks have “sticky” edges too, but purple stains that’s gross :iagree: .

They did look nice - that, and the fact that I was “fooled” by the Sony name. That’s one disc I won’t buy again in future, even if the BenQs do like them :bigsmile:

Edit: Even the packaging was pretty :sad:

C’t is a German magazine. It is a print only magazine so it isn’t something you can get online. However, excerpts from it in the area of ageing tests may be found here :

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13405

I have two documents which are interesting in as much as they are also trying to answer this question. Testing is on going.
I can’t remember which sites I got them from but a quick google search will bring them up. Both are in PDF format.
The titles are: ~

CDandDVDCareandHandlingGuide.pdf
NIST Special Publication 500-252
Care and Handling of CDs and DVDs —A Guide for Librarians and Archivists.

StabilityStudy.pdf
Journal of Research of the National Institute of Standards and Technology.
Stability Comparison of Recordable Optical Discs—A Study of Error Rates in Harsh
Conditions.
They may give those seeking an answer some help but it seems that we are a long way from the indestructible cd/dvd we were promised in the beginning.
:frowning: