Sony CRX320e 100% Coaster :(

im really sorry to bother you, as i hate to register at a forum only to ask help.
also sorry for my english:

i bought that sony which is a 5232k liteon

the problem is… it fails 100%.
the store is really far away from where i am, so i need to make sure the problem is from the unit it-self

first i used a sony at 52x and it failed near the middle [50%]. i was like ‘errr, maybe at 48…’
sony @ 48x = coaster. [write error]
‘maybe its the brand?’ [sony never NEVER failed at 52x on my ol’benq52x]

Verb. Datalife @ 48x = coaster. [write error] “ok 32x is not slow anyways”
32x=coaster [write error/fixation error]

TDK @ 24x = coaster at 90% [write error/fixation error]
the second one reached 100% but hanged on ‘leadout’. it IS readable. but barely.

but when i put a mitsui gold i had for years [its a relic :slight_smile: ] and it FAILED at 8x i knew something is REALLY F**** up here

what is supposed to be? lets see
Dma ON [on all drives]
i tried nero 5.5 [again, never failed with my benq] and last 6.3
clonecd 3/4
alcohol

i did read on the faq that ‘some liteon drives has a problem with Sao/Dao. try Tao’. I tried tao = write error/fixation error. it also says ‘use RAW’ but i cant find a way to use it instead of s/d/tao.

suggestions?
again, im sorry to bother, but i really need to know if the drive is fubar[??] before i go to the store with a baseball bat :bigsmile: thanks

help :sad:

I don’t like the sound of the baseball bat. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sounds like you have tried most things but here’s a couple of other thoughts:
1/ How is the drive connected to the computer?
2/ What else is connected on the IDE?
3/ What does the drive read like at 40x and 52x? Use a know good disc and Nero CD-DVD Speed. Post the transfer rate result.
4/ Try a burn with Nero CD-DVD Speed and see what it does.

ok, first thanks for the answer =D

We can forget about ide or cable problems. As quick as i switch it with the benq CRW5224P its all good. The only disc that came out BARELY readable had 500+ errors on kprobe. Give me a minute and ill check one done with the benq on kprobe and nero cd speed

First of all, what firmware are you running?

Also, I note that buffer under run protection doesn’t seem to be activated (I believe it’s called “SMART-Burn” for this drive). Have you tried turning that on? BTW, I also have this drive & it works beautifully!

well, an old backup cd [done on the benq]:
kprobe2- c1 errors: 800aprox [0.7aver.] c2 errors: none. Media: IPC [local brand, pretty good].
nero cd speed: average X : 21.98

i think its worth mentioning that the cd is only used until 20min [180mb aprox]
also remember you need to hold the eject button if you want ‘more than 40x read/write speed’ on all liteon. so the read speed is sufficent

it came with the first one, and the first thing i thought was to update the firmware to the last one, so i did. exactly the same behaviour :sad:

edit: burn proof is enabled on all the software i tried. nothing bad there.

So I assume you are now running NYK4? Also, why does “SMART-Burn” not show in the Nero log window (mine does)?

i had hopes on this one but the speed slowed to almost 1x [!!!] until it just went ‘write error’

a thought: could this be the Dao/sao bug?
and if so, what should i do =(

wait a moment, you have a point there. but… it is selected! [nero bug?]
i actually remember [at least 5.5] always telling "activating burn proof " etc… mmmh… :eek:
edit: and yes its NYK4. it came with NYK1 or 2 i think

ok i found something nasty here;
on nero [6.3.1.25], when you go to the ‘choose rec’, if you CLICK on ‘options’ it shows the Burn proof activated, but after tinkering [sp?] with it i found that just by CLICKING ‘options’ it will DISABLE burnproof, even if it shows it ‘ticked’. nice way to find a bug… so it appears that it is disabled in nero, but remember, the problem started on 5.5 [i was happy with it] and only updated to 6.3 to find out if it would solve it.

also, alcohol log from that coaster :sad:

####################### Dumping/Recording Progress Log #######################
20:41:45 Processor info: Unknown CPU Type (2304MHz)
20:41:45 Memory Available to Windows: 523.764 KB
20:41:45 Memory Buffer size: 128 MB
20:41:45 Image file loading: E:\Iso est691.iso
20:41:45 Source Info: Session: 1, Track: 1, Length: 691.7 MB / 078:42:18
20:41:48 (F:) SONY CD-RW CRX320E(1:0): Recording Method/Speed
20:41:48 Recording - DAO / SAO - 32X (4800 KB/Sec)
20:41:48 (F:) SONY CD-RW CRX320E(1:0): BURN-Free activated :a :a
20:46:17 Image file loading completed!
20:46:39 (F:) SONY CD-RW CRX320E(1:0) - [Write ERROR], LBA: 319072, Length: 16
S:KEY - 03/0C/00 - “Write Error”
20:46:39 (F:) SONY CD-RW CRX320E(1:0): Recording failed!
20:46:39 Error message: [03/0C/00] - Write Error
20:46:39 (F:) SONY CD-RW CRX320E(1:0): Recording failed!
##############################################################################

ok, this is going directly either to the shop or to the junkyard. i have lost 20cds already. this was a tdk gold at 32x. it didnt even started. :a

I wasn’t thinking about the cable. Is another drive on the same IDE lead. Some drives don’t like working together on the same IDE channel.

i always have 2 ide drives, harddrive on prim mas & the cd/cdr/cdrw/dvd on the sec mas. :slight_smile:

The unit is going the long rma way. As the store guy told me, actually it appears that a full pack [30+] of sony/liteons came refurbished or broken… i will put down the u$s diference to a nec 3500 =)

Sounds like a plan…:cool:

ok i just wanted to say how things ended, to finished the thread.

guess what… when i entered the store there was another guy with another faulty liteon… sigh

Anyway i just put the 80usd diference for that highly praised nec 3500a black and went home and used it:

OH MY GOD
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: