Sony CRX195e1, how do I make it a liteon?

vbimport

I know prolly a n00b question. After reading several of the posts here I upgraded my Sony CRX195A1 to the newest firmware for the CRX195E1. So I know my recorder has the correct chipset to upgrade to liteon. Please explain to me how to turn it into the liteon drive and possibly even upgrade that to the 48x speed. Thx for your time!!

Tim

aha, someone else did it, good :slight_smile: Would you like me to try to modify the 48X firmware to keep the Sony CRX195E1 name? If you just want to turn your drive into the 48X Lite-ON, then use mtkflash along with the binary firmware from OC-Freak’s page.

Do you have to first turn it into the 40x liteon before you can change it to the 48x?

No, mtkflash will flash any drive that it can with any firmware that you tell it to use.

which one should I try? In your humble opinion

Thx

If I f**k up can I recover?

Tim

I posted a windows utility to upgrade to version VS02. It’s untested, but should work. If anything goes wrong, then just download the binary firmware from the page and use it with mtkflash.
Here’s the page

holy crap…u can turn a sony into a lite-on?

what other drives can do that type of conversion?
can plextor be converted to a lite-on?

This is not actually turning it into a Lite-ON, it has always been a Lite-ON, Sony just modified the faceplate and changed the sticker then sold them. If you flash, your drive is still named a sony, but it will have firmware version VS02 for the 48X Lite-ON(if you use that utility) or it will be version ZYS3 if you just choose to upgrade the drive to newer firmware. Many drives are actually OEM’s of other drives. This Sony just happened to be made by lite-ON.

It worked indeed. From a Sony A to an Sony E to a liteon 40x to a liteon 48x. Great!!!

Thx.

Now, What’s the best brand of cdr to use?:smiley: :smiley:

Wait a minute! You flashed your CRX195A1 to a CRX195E1??? It worked?! None of the firmwares on my page have been tested with the A1, as far as I know the E1 and A1 are different drives. Please confirm if you really did use my E1 firmware on your A1.

Sweet! I’m glad it worked for you! Maybe check out the Media forum for answers to that question. Anyone else who tries this and is able to, please post screenshots.

Originally posted by dhc014
This is not actually turning it into a Lite-ON, it has always been a Lite-ON, Sony just modified the faceplate and changed the sticker then sold them.

So basically plextor will not be able to convert to lite-on right?

I wish I had taken screenies along the way. But yes from a Retail Sony CRX195A1 to a CRX195E1 then into the liteons. It worked for me. Used Nero 5.5.8.2 to burn it and it works perfectly with no mistakes. Also used winxp media to burn a music cd. Perfect clarity!!!:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

IT CAN BE DONE!!!

So you first flashed to the E version using mtkflash? The utilities won’t allow a flash to continue on the A version.

Originally posted by afrodeziak
[B]

So basically plextor will not be able to convert to lite-on right? [/B]

Correct

I used the the Sony195ze1_zys3 flash program for windows to get from a to e.

Originally posted by Tim West
I used the the Sony195ze1_zys3 flash program for windows to get from a to e.

Interesting… do you remember what version the firmware was on your drive before you flashed? was it ZYS2?

yep that’s the one

Tim, do you still have the turbo boost feature where you press the eject button for five seconds to turn it on or turn it off?
see here.
I see why it worked now, the CRX195A1 is actually called a CRX195E1 in it’s own device ID string.

Don’t think it works. Don’t really care though, lol.

Tim